Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts >

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Quilting Guilds and Charity Quilts

Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

WOW, that is a touchy situation. The guild I belonged to makes charity quilts for foster kids that go to a summer camp. They each receive a pillowcase and a quilt. I heard from some of the members that some kids show up with ONLY the clothes on their back. Makes me want to run to Walmart and buy some clothes but you can't, everything is done anonymously. No quilt labels on the back.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Why not stand up and ask in a meeting why this was allowed? Ask what is the guild definition of who is deserving of a donation quilt? This way you will know. My guild decided to make quilts for local heroes. Law enforcement, firemen, EMTs, returning military, community volunteers, etc who get hurt or sick. That is where our quilts go. We make children's quilts that go to a local volunteer group that help foster kids in the community. Most of the volunteers are all guild members or family of guild members so we know the quilts are given to the kids. Each year the Community Service chairman makes a suggestion where to donate the quilts and the guild members vote on it.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:45 PM

The way I see it if they did not go where they where intended and agreed upon, then its a theft. It does not matter if the person did not receive any money for "diverting" the quilt. If it was honorable they would have had no issues bring the matter to the group.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM

I would be very upset and would not hesitate to raise a ruckus within the group about it. That is just wrong!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM

It depends on the situation. We had a Heritage member who was passing and a person in our Community Quilts gave her a quilt she had made from donated fabrics. It was adored by this lady who had only a few weeks to live. That was justified. Our Guild has Community Quilts but, they sometimes have to scrounge for fabric at the free table. I say, those quilts can go to wherever they are needed. Now giving one to your husband from fabrics purchased by the Guild, no way. As for what the donation sites do with the quilts after they are donated. It's a donation, you can't do a thing about who it goes to.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM

There may be circumstances you are not aware of. However, the person in charge had an obligation to check with the guild before making any decisions on her own. The decision was not hers alone to make.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM

Yes, I would certainly be upset, I don't below to a guild, but me and a couple of friends make donation quilts and either one of us would be "upset" if one of us decided to give one or some to people that were in need.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:58 AM

Our guild votes on charity projects. As a group we make sure the quilt reaches its destination.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:52 AM

We had the same thing happen where the personnel where helping themselves before distributing the quilts. I was so disappointed!
Our guild was also giving them to the fire dept. for children going to the hospital, but found out that if there was blood involved the quilts were discarded.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Does your quilting guild make charity quilts? If so, would you be bothered if the person in charge of distributing the quilts (without consulting anyone) gave some of them to people who were definitely not needy? How do you determine where your charity quilts go?
I have seen this done at my local guild, which is the reason I left it. I love to create quilts for little ones and have found that by giving them to St. Jude's or my local children's hospital that I know who is receiving the quilt- the KIDS!. Maybe it is time for you to start making quilts for other charity organizations. I bet there is several here on the QB that can make a suggestion where to donate your gift and know that it is going to the one intended for it to go to.