Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days? >

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I haven't bought a new quilting magazine in some time -

I've noticed a lot of the other magazines have so many ads for various medications - have the quilting magazines stayed free of them so far?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:52 AM

YES! I have had a subscription for 20 years. Have saved the old issues and often been able to find articles from years ago that help me figure out a problem and/ or give me new inspiration. For the past few years the articles seem to be promo ads for new fabric lines. Would like for QN to return to the format that made their so great; ie current design trends, new techniques, increased reader content, quilt histories, and quilt venues.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I subscribe to my two favorite quilting mags, which are McCall's and Fons & Porter. I also like Fabric Trends because they have a great selection of patterns in each issue. Does anyone else buy Fabric Trends magazine?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM

I love saving quilt patterns on my computer, but they do take up a lot of room. so my solution was to get an external hard drive, 500 gigabytes, that holds a lot of patterns, pictures and is a good back up for my computer. I highly recommend it and you can always find these things on sale, more even closer to christmas shopping time.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM

I do agree with you. I really was impressed with the magazine the first year I took it, but this year has been a complete bust. I won't subscribe again. I think most quilting magazines do the same thing. Fons and Porter is another one that I would not take again for the same reason. If your lucky you get one pattern every other month for your money.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM

:twisted: I see patterns that I like in the fabrics shown, but most are only sold in kits. I would like to see the fabric measurements (i. e. 1 yd pink floral; 2 yds blue wave, etc.) matched up with the fabrics in the pictures so that you could visualize your own selection of fabrics. In other words 1 yd pink should also be marked as fabric A with a corresponding A shown in the picture of the quilt. Gives a much better picture of what your own selection would look like, but I guess that's too much to ask. Maybe the problem is with me or I'm not experienced enough to make the proper visualization on my own.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM

I subscribe to Quiltmaker and New Zealand Quilter but won't be re-subbing to QM when my subscription runs out, it's just not value for money. I will definitely be re-subbing to NZQ though.

I've stopped buying Australian quilt magazines because they all come in a sealed pack of 3. Two are back issues of other quilt magazines that they want/need to get rid of. They also charge $1 extra to the cost of the magazine I want for the 2 back issues that I don't want. Down Under Quilts is great if you are into artsy quilts, and Australian Quilters Companion is great - and also includes a free CD with each copy.

Because I'm on a fixed income and don't have money to waste on things I don't want/need, I prefer to look through the magazine before I decide to buy it. That is how I discovered NZQ, and also American Quilter - and became a member of AQS.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Just got a new issue Of "Quilt" today. Has some nice stuff in it this time.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by sed823
I have only one subscription to a quilting magazine but get Quilters Newsletter from my mother-in-law when she finishes with it. I feel like a 3 year old when I look through most quilting magazines: I look at the pictures of the quilts, I read what's new in tools, and I look at the ads to see if there's a tool or new line of fabric I can't live without. Occasionally, I do find an interesting quilt that I put a post-it tab on. Have yet to go back and make one of the quilts from a magazine.
I do the same; except the only ones I've gone back and made were from McCall's and from Fons and Porter.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I subscribe to my two favorite quilting mags, which are McCall's and Fons & Porter. I also like Fabric Trends because they have a great selection of patterns in each issue. Does anyone else buy Fabric Trends magazine?

Minda, I too love Fabric Trends as well as The Quilter. My very favorite is Quilting Arts Magazine. So inspiring and chock full of techniques!! These three mags I always save and never toss.