Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM

well written, Skratchie!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 AM

What batting do you suggest for somewhat heavy quilting that still leaves the quilt soft and drapy?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM

maminstl, you captured in a nutshell what I enjoy about shows ;-) have fun!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

When I go to the big quilt shows I enjoy looking at the fancy ones that always win - I chuckle at the way they are done, knowing that they sure wouldn't work on a bed. But, they are in the art area, not the daily use area. That is fine with me, I go to quilt shows to see what others are doing, not because I want to emulate them, but to enjoy the overdone magnificence that others enjoy. I do think alot of it is simply the compatition that resides in many of us, and that's ok too, I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone was the same and we didn't progress. As for me I'll keep hand piecing and hand quilting and going to the shows to see what others are up to!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 AM

I went to a history museum in Weslaco, TX recently to view a display of old/antique quilts. There was one beautiful on that was over 100yrs old and some of the fabric had disintegrated but was still held on wherever the quilting sticthed were. The thread was perfectly preserved all over the quilt. So maybe the dense quilting will actually preserve the quilt better.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM

What a fascinating discussion. I'd like to add that I simply love quilting. When I began this about 15 years ago, I had no idea there would be so much to learn. I thought quilting was just making soft, cuddly coverlets out of fabric and thread. Now I know how there is so much more to it. I am not only interested in the completed quilt, but I love the entire process of quiltmaking. There are complex decisions about size, color, use, pattern, and fabric. It is just as difficult to decide on a quilting design. In my mind, it all has to go together to form a pleasing end product. And I am still learning.

I will always be a hand-quilter. There is no better, more relaxing process in the world than sitting with a quilt draped across your lap as you work the needle, always trying to get the most uniform and small stitches as possible. It is such good therapy. But, I have recently become enamored with free-motion quilting. This is much harder and takes much more concentration. Both techniques require talent and/or skill. Both reveal a spectacular result. At first I had no interest in machine quilting. I wanted to create with my hands, but I soon realized that manipulating the fabric beneath the needle is being creative. Like any endeavor, it can be done well and it can be done poorly. I've always believed that the quilting should play a part in the overall project, just as the piecing and the colors and types of fabric contribute. It all has to do with individual taste and the use of the quilt. There are of course some quilts that just don't do it for me; there are others that knock my socks off. After all I made my first quilt because I was inspired by those I saw at a quilt show. To tell the truth, I don't go to many shows. My main focus isn't a finished quilt. I aim to make a quilt, which means all the various processes that go into it is the best part for me. I love the precision cutting, the perfect 1/4" seam, putting the pieces together so that points and seams match. I try for perfection, knowing it isn't going to happen, but never beating myself up over it. When the processes are completed, the finished quilt gives me such joy.

Of course it is possible to over-quilt a quilt. But it is also possible to use what I'd consider ugly fabric or gaudy colors. But the point is, it was made with love by someone who enjoys the process just as much as I do. So, the bottom line for me is, quilts are awesome. I pretty much love them all.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 AM

I have seen some rather 'plain' quilts come alive with all the artistic quilting, which is usually done by a professional. I have also seen delicate quilts quilted so much you miss the original design. I have had beautiful quilting done for two 'show' quilts and one that was most precious to me and I paid rather dearly for each. But now, most of my quilts are for gifts or charity and I prefer them to be done completely by me. Art is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:53 AM

I love looking at all quilts and especially seeing some of the beautiful quilting that is done now.
For my personal use, I like quilts that have less quilting - I guess they remind me of the ones I used at my grandmother's house in the winter.
And, as others have said, what is great about quilting is that there are so many different styles and trends and we can each find the one that we like best!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have seen many, many jaw-droppingly gorgeous quilts which were, as you say, "quilted to death". Although it's not the type of machine quilting I do, I can surely appreciate the beauty of the completed quilt, and the artistry and skill required to make it.
Very true. My sentiments exactly.

I don't really expect quilts that win a blue ribbon at an national/international exhibit to be something that was quilted in a meander on my Janome in 3-4 hours. I loved looking at the intricate work at the MQS I made it to last year in Wichita. It was very inspiring.

Someday, maybe I'll get 1/20 as good as some of them. Otherwise, I won't worry about it. So far I've not had the desire to be in a show--I'm simply not that kind of perfectionist that I think you need to be to be able to make a good presentation at one of them. And it's okay.

I do wonder about what percentage of quilts being made in the US (and worldwide) today are artsy (pictures) type quilts/wall hangings and what percentage are the more traditional. I would have thought that more traditional types (including intricate paper piecing types by Judy Niemeyer) were actually being done than art quilts. However, just a quick "click" on a few of the special speakers/presenters at the Paducah show and I got several art quilt teachers. I sometimes wonder how much is connecting with the "common quilter" (as in "common man").

But I love going to places where I am stretched, so I can learn from artsy types. But I know that I do not have that type of talent--or at least I don't think that I do.

I will continue to admire the dense quilting. I do wonder where it is going to stop--some of the quilts I saw literally looked like there would be no more room for any more stitches on them--but wow--what an amazing amount of work.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I am puzzled by the number of people who think heavy quilting takes over the quilt. The micro stippling I did on this quilt was at my friend's request. It is designed to push the applique up. The thread is fine (Invisifil 100 wt) and it matches the background. Personally I like all types of quilts and I find all types of quilts at shows I visit.
I love it when the overall first impression of a quilt attracts me and then as I look closer I see other things to admire whether it is the quilting or fabrics. Unless the description of a quilt explains what it's intend use is, I don't know and I don't care. It is the visual impact of the quilt that speaks to me.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]472671[/ATTACH]
Pagzz, What you have accomplished here is beautiful and brilliant. IMHO you struck the perfect balance, you enhanced the beautiful applique workmanship. It is densely quilted and beautiful in itself, but in no way did it take attention away from the appliques. It all works wonderfully together.