Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why you do not wash fabrics before cutting? >

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

why you do not wash fabrics before cutting?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 PM

Ditto - just the way I feel about it.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Coz I think it's gonna be just fine. I also like the antique puckered look. Plus, I do wash the finished quilt before gifting.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:54 PM

I've created a monster with most of my stash being prewashed. I rarely make an entire quilt out of newly purchased fabric, so to avoid mixing washed with unwashed, I have to continue washing. If I ever do purchase all new fabric, I will have to try the unwashed method. Hmm. Scientific experiment. Sounds like a reasonable excuse for new fabric to me.������
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 PM

I know why some don't wash. Not due to laziness but lack of organisation. They turn up at a retailers to do a class and the first 30 mins of the lesson are wasted waiting for them to select, cut and purchase fabric for class.
As the tutor found this very annoying standing waiting, especially when they had had the requirements since they booked and pre washing and light starching was requested.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 AM

Really? My decision not to prewash is based on my personal experience and knowledge not a lack of organizational skills. I'm taking a knitting class and my bag of supplies has been packed and ready to go for 2 week.

People that show up unprepared should be expected to catch up or rebook. Prepared students should not be punished for others mistakes. while I don't instruct adults I do instruct kids in sewing, crafts etc., anyone that shows up late has to catch up. we do not stop the class for them
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

I am a pre-washer. By that I mean, I run the hottest water I can in my kitchen sink, swish fabric around a minute or so to get the sizing out, ring out by hand, then pop in the dryer for 15 or so minutes on HOT. That is where my shrinking and bleeding will rise its heat. (I DO use color catchers in the dryer) Process (without dry time) is a few minutes.. I retrieve from dryer, fold and THEN it gets put in sewing room...I BEST PRESS and iron when I go to use it... NO fabric enters my "room" without being washed. I don't ever buy pre-cuts, kits or ?? so NO problem there... If something is going to "happen" to my quilt before gifting, I want it to happen in MY washer and dryer, not theirs....
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM

I think this thread asked why we don't prewash...not if and why we do. Right?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I think this thread asked why we don't prewash...not if and why we do. Right?
True - but almot every thread where someone says why they DO wash has several people stating that they DO NOT wash before cutting.

As an aside, I think the term " pre -wash ing" is inaccurate. For me, it is just "washing."

The " pre" is treating for stains and/or getting it ready for needing to be washed ( dirty, smelly, or both).

As long as talker and hearer (writer and reader) agree on the message content - -
Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 AM

I like how some fabrics shrink up a little after being washed giving it that old fashioned quilt look that I love.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

because it's nice and crisp if I buy a lot I don't want to fight it.
because i'm working on it immediately and don't want to wait.
because I only have a small pc for a non washable item.
because I forgot to