Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I can appreciate the work done by machine embroidery, but will probably never be able to afford one. I don't think it will replace quilting, but in certain instances, it can add a little zip to a quilt.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:52 AM

I also love redwork but arthritis in my hands is making it more difficult and takes me forever. I am thinking of going to machine embroidery
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM

Embroidery is pretty, but not my thing. I personally do not consider it quilting (i.e. piecing or quilting designs [DM or LA], but more like applique or embellishment. It is more of a something extra to me.

I agree that either hand or machine embroidery takes work.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 PM

It's not quilting, it's embroidery.

This is like the perennial question, "Is it art?" Is photography art? The photographer uses technology to create an image. S/he chooses the subject, frames it, may even manipulate it, but is it on par with an oil painting in its creative value? Labels get sticky (sorry) and sometimes are beside the point. Every technology has its place and it is your decision - or the competition guidelines' decision - what is acceptable and what isn't. I'm sure someone has already figured out a way to use quick and efficient machine embroidery in a piece of work where it doesn't look factory produced and devoid of soul. That would be my goal with such a technology. Since a quilt requires so much time and hand work, slapping on an obviously computer-generated design would detract (in my opinion) from its handcrafted quality. I knew an artist who told me that, when he produced a sub-standard piece, he'd put it in the bathtub, get it wet and smear it around a little bit. Maybe there's a way to "rough up" perfect, computer-generated embroidery so it achieves a little character. Having proposed this suggestion, I'm sure it's already been done.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM

I am a machine embroidery quilter and I don't think everyone has to like it. It is just another part of modern quilting. One thing I have learned is each quilter dances to their own drum, do we have to like what everyone does "NO" , do they have to like what I do "NO". I will continue to do things the way I like and you don't have to approve because it is mine. If you don't want to receive machine embroidered projects in a swap let the group know. I have invested a lot of money in my embroidery machines, thread, stablizers, 505, and etc...so I will continue to do what I love! You can probably tell I have had a bad day! PaperPrincess good points.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Some machine embroidery designs are embellishment and some are quilting. It just depends upon the purpose and style of the design. Why would a quilting design on an embroidery machine be less than valid than an automated long arm machine design?

Generally I prefer human sewing design to automated sewing design whether it is embroidery or quilting. But I also have an embroidery machine and use it to make gifts for my grandchildren. The embroidery is beautiful and they love it! Before last year I didn't really care for machine embroidery, but now I enjoy it. I surprised myself. Lol
Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 PM

So what is your favorite color? Or your favorite method of making a top; traditional, scrappy, pieced, whole cloth or panels, modern: each one is different. We sandwich all of them. Top, batting, backing. Then we connect them. Tied or stitched. It's all quilting isn't it? How could it not all be quilting? Regardless of methods used it's all quilting to me. And we are all artists and we all have our methods of doing this wonderful craft. How could one method used not be quilting? If it's not your favorite color just don't use it, but why would you not want someone else to not use it? It may be that persons favorite color. I find this topic very unsettling.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 PM

I was very upset when told by the mythical person. " they didn't like all the machine embroidery" MACHINE EMBROIDERY. I can promise you every stitch is hand done . This is a corner block, 4 long borders and 25 centre blocks . And 15 months in time.
I don't use the fancy stitches on the machine just my own time.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
This is exactly what I was trying to say with my original post... I'm sorry that some people took it as a put-down.
I was interested in what others thought of machine embroidery and whether they considered it quilting or not. Open for discussion!
I guess I thought when you trade blocks, you are trading "BLOCKS" - not finished blocks, but unfinished/unquilted ones. As I understand it, you wouldn't want one like this (before quilting that cross hatch) :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536425[/ATTACH]

when the finished quilt looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536426[/ATTACH]

because you don't care for embroidery on quilts. It's fine. This was for my mom and I call it "Flowers for Mom".

Then, there is a quilt style that uses embroidery AS the quilting. Like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536427[/ATTACH]

and the whole quilt looks like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536428[/ATTACH]

I personally don't understand how anyone could NOT love both. One is used as a way of making a block (the first) and the other is a method of quilting.

But each to her own. I don't do swaps, so I don't have any idea what people send. I'd personally love embroidered blocks, but they are harder to use in a quilt than a pieced block, it's true.
Attached Thumbnails sm079.jpg   015-sm.jpg   img_4161-sm.jpg   img_4165sm.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 11-24-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I personally don't understand how anyone could NOT love both.
I personally do. While you did an excellent job, the quilts look like they were generated by machine and lack the human element.