making your bed

Old 08-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I have always made my bed voluntarily when I get out of it in the am since I was a little girl. My mother never made their bed and she never cared if my brothers and I did either. But I like getting into a bed that is made. In this house our bedroom is on the main floor and even though we get minimal drop in company it does look better made. I use a neutral quilt I got at Target that is easy to wash and dry and I change out the smaller quilts I make that go on top. Since I moved out of parents house I've always used a mattress cover. We got a heated one here but it is washable.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:42 PM

I don't really care anymore! When my boys were little I insisted they make their beds...if they didn't, I'd say "Well...you must not need sheets then"...and strip their beds! Backfired though, because I now have a 34 year old son who prefers to sleep on the mattress..hates sheets and blankets! (Drives his wife crazy!!)
Old 08-19-2016, 03:34 AM

My husband makes ours every morning too. But, we have a rule that the last one up makes the bed...LOL...I have, maybe, been the last one up 4 or 5 times in 50 years of marriage!

Originally Posted by Doggramma
My husband makes the bed every morning. He also washes the bedding every week.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 AM

We pull up the sheet and blanket each morning after breakfast unless it's Tuesday (laundry day). Occasionally put on the duvet. DH does not want to be bothered with all the pretty decorative pillows so we don't have those. We have a cooling (?) mattress pad on the mattress that gets washed but not each week. I like to give the bed an hr or so to air out before making it up. At this stage of my life I like for the sheets to dry out before covering them up. LOL
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 AM

I make the bed. Mostly I pull the sheets and covers up and throw the pillows on top. I guess it comes from my upbringing that it just doesn't feel good to go to bed in an unmade bed. I often take a nap in the afternoon and mess it up but I straighten it up again. It isn't made up perfectly but it is straight and no wrinkles. I don't think I had to make the bed growing up. I think my mother did that but she must have planted some idea in my mind about it. I use a mattress pad also. I use to turn the mattress but I don't do that anymore.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a terrible time trying to sleep if the covers are wonky. I do straighten out the bedding before I get into bed - but sometimes that is right before I climb back into bed.

In FL - when we get drop in company, I make the beds early in the day.

(Why do we say "make the bed"? We purchased already assembled beds. We put on and straighten bed coverings! Sorry - my literal mind showed up again.)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 AM

As soon as my DH gets out of the bed..it gets made. By me!! I grew up in a home where we(the kids) had our rooms upstairs. The only time they were cleaned or sheets changed was when someone forced us into it. I am pretty clean and organized in my home! I used to make my children's beds too. And organized their Fisher price toys. I know...OCD!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:54 AM

My mother always said if your bed is made and dishes are washed, the house is clean. Hubby sleeps later that I do,so he makes the bed, not perfect, but it made.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:27 AM

I let the bed air for about an hour, then I have to make it. Can't deal with unmade beds. Use a mattress pad also. My children made theirs beds before school. I don't like getting into a rumpled bed.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Yup, my mom made us make our beds as well, so I am in the habit. I am not a fitful sleeper though, so all I have to do is pull the covers up. I do like to make my bed too because I like to keep the sheets as fur-free as possible. The critters can sleep on the bed, but not under the covers (of course unless it's cold out and I'm under them, then they all want to climb under the covers with me, and I don't complain !! After seeing the comments on letting the sheets breathe though, I may do this a couple of times a week, and close my door so the critters aren't all over them.