Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- March 10 - 12, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- March 10 - 12, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- March 10 - 12, 2017

Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Raggiemom- Those are great. My favorite is the one with Halloween colors. I'm amazed at the amount of work you managed to get done at your retreat!

Geevee- Your table topper is very pretty. I really like the addition of the blue among the warmer colors, really gives the topper an additional pop!

117Becca- I agree with you that changing the inner border was a good idea, it helps separate the inner quilt from the border. Looking forward to seeing how it quilts up--it's going to be lovely.

Sync- Love those colors together. Beautiful quilt top!

I haven't made much progress on my VQW to do list because Friday was a long barn day getting horses vaccinated, and finding out my horse has what appears to be an upper respiratory infection necessitating a 2 week course of antibiotics and expectorant, poor guy. So, even though he didn't have a fever and the vet didn't seem too concerned, I stayed awake all night Friday night fretting about him. Which meant that yesterday I didn't get a thing done in the sewing studio---I just can't do those all nighters anymore like I could when I was younger... So I have modified my idea of how much I'm going to get done during this VQW. Today I'm working on the quilting part of an art quilt that is a collaboration with a musician/painter friend of mine. I'm going to try to get most of the stabilizing quilting done and may end up being able to get some of the more decorative work done on it once I can safely remove all those safety pins. The UFO that needs to be un-sewn and re-sewn will have to wait, and that means that I won't be starting a mini-whole cloth inspired by Lisa Calle's class--guess what will probably be on my list for next month's VQW

Rob
Old 03-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Thanks Rob, sorry about your horse's illness, hope it clears up quickly and you're both feeling better about it. I'm looking forward to seeing your art quilt and the mini-whole cloth, bet they'll be stunners.

I finished the cover for the table, it's just a carppy little Walmart table but it's the perfect height for the reading chair it sits next to, so I keep it covered in various tops and it helps it look kinda fresh and not so carppy. lol I got a bit of a wave in the binding edge, probably because I had to add a strip of fabric to lengthen it once I'd already sewn the corners together, but oh well, it'll do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569781[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails tablecoverdone.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Enjoying watching the VQW, might try to join in next month. Everyone's pictures are great. Sorry can't remember who was doing the scrap organizing but wow you did a great job.

Also, for those interesting the the bug quilt, FatCat Patterns has a free pattern that is very similar.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Macybaby. Love all your organization. Really getting the nitty gritty done!!!
This is what I did this weekend. Put together last three rows of a Mystery Row Quilt for our local Guild. Each row is 60 inches. I had cut out all the blocks already. I lack some Appliqué then I can put rows together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569788[/ATTACH]Have enjoyed everyone's pictures.
Attached Thumbnails img_6765.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Hi everyone! I didn't think I would get any sewing done this weekend but I did manage to do this candle mat.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569790[/ATTACH]
Here's a closeup - I may need to to add a little quilting to the center. It was a quilt as you go design.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569791[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170312_173409.jpg   20170312_173429.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Forgot to say thanks for hosting raggiemom! Wish I could have joined you at the retreat!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Not a very great picture but don't want to lay the whole quilt out, here is the snowlady block I am hand quilting a grid on.[ATTACH=CONFIG]569794[/ATTACH] I purchased the patterns from http://www.chickadeehollowdesigns.co...now-Ladies.htm And also here are two scrappy blocks I did today, the star one is a pattern from A Little Bit Biased Blogspot from a few years ago, and the chain one is something I saw posted and thought would look good as an alternate block. The centre squares are 2" cut. [ATTACH=CONFIG]569796[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails march-12-2017001-small-.jpg   march-12-2017002_edited-small-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Thanks for quilting with me this weekend! I took today off to recover from the LONG days quilting at the retreat and to catch up on some housework. Although I have asked them repeatedly, the cats never pitch and help with the housework. They do enjoy creating more work for me though !

See you all next month, I'm thinking Christmas presents to work on that weekend.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Cindi--that's adorable! Oh, my goodness, every block makes me smile. Your friend is going to LOVE it! Does she know you're making it?
Nope, it's a surprise!! She saw a couple of the blocks I posted on FB and loved them. I knew I'd picked the right pattern!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:42 PM

I got a couple of projects done (or at least, to the next stage) this weekend. My Peace, Love, Quilt mystery top is done. This is isn't the original layout, but I like it. I did have to make an additional 90-some blocks (more than we made initially) to make it happen, but it was worth it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569802[/ATTACH]

Plus, I got a quilt on (and off) the longarm. Just need to finish the binding.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]569803[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p3120981.jpg   p3120985.jpg