I don't "get" Pinterest.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Bravo Sewbiz. I too love pinterest but maybe they should have named it "pinspiration" I get so much inspiration from Pinterest. I gravitate towards "theme" quilting when I longarm so I can search for things like "mandala" or "mexican tiles" and scroll through lots of pictures and save what I want to later be inspiration for a quilting motif.

I don't use pinterest to try and find links to free patterns but I do have a board called quilt patterns I like. Most of what I pin I could draft out myself so I don't need a pattern, just the idea. Many people use it that way too.

And so many people repin what others have pinned so it is hard to get to the original source of a Pin. Also not all pins are from other internet content. Some people can upload their own images so there won't be a link to anything at all. Usually those pins are notated as "uploaded by user". This is especially true of photos either taken of your own things, or at a quilt show.

I remember the first time I ran across one of the quilts I had longarmed on pinterest, actually pinned from here on the QB. I was surprised that someone would like my stuff enough to bother to pin it. LOL.

For the most part I really like pinterest and consider it an invaluable source for inspiration. I often get better photo hits on pinterest in searches than I do on any of the web browsers, like Google.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I can't stand Pinterest! Now I check the link and if it's to a Pinterest site I don't even click it because I know it'll just annoy me.
I am the same way. Did you know that when doing a Google search you can add -pinterest at the end of your search to eliminate all pinterest hits. That is a space after your search then the minus sign an pinterest.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM

Pinterest confused me until I found out that, if I click on the link that shows up at the lower left edge of the picture, it takes you to the appropriate Web page. If I click on the picture instead, I just get a bigger version of the picture. Don't know if this will help or if you have already tried this and still don't get what you want.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
I am the same way. Did you know that when doing a Google search you can add -pinterest at the end of your search to eliminate all pinterest hits. That is a space after your search then the minus sign an pinterest.
I know, and when I remember I put that in there. I forget sometimes, though, and end up clicking on a Pinterest link and getting annoyed and having to redo my search. I wish I could somehow save that as a permanent preference. I should look into that, maybe there's a way for me to blacklist it in my browser settings. Hmmmm...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 AM

I have been very disappointing in Pinterest. Was expecting to find a site that had different-looking, but helpful tips, neat pictures, and use able. So far, I get too frustrated to use it.
Mariah