Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing? Love it or hate it? >

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 PM

WoW...I am reading all your chit chat about PP and my head is spinning. I am new to quilting,but an old-timer to sewing.

There are so many quilts that I want to make that don't require PP that it will be a long time before I will need to challange myself with any difficult projects .

BUT.....I surely appreciate the beauty of all the work of you talented people here.

I am now hooked on reading as much as I can of the tidbits of knowledge you guys throw out.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL.....(~.~)
Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I went to the site you mentioned little confusing for a new quilter, Could you please send me the sizes of a twin, full, queen & king quilt & what is the difference between paper piecing & paper foundation. Thank You HappyEaster
Old 04-03-2010, 06:44 PM

I just tried making sailboat blocks with paper piecing. In fact, I used a Carol Doak book. I found tracing paper was easy to work with. Haven't tried anything else yet.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Wow Karen, that's a smart idea, sewing with the longer stitch length first!! I think I will do it next time. I love to PP.

I also put my stitches at 1.5 and the paper tears wonderfully. When joining larger blocks I use a 3.5 or 4 stitch length the first time to make doubly sure the points meet, then do it again with the 1.5 stitch length.

Karen[/quote]
Old 04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

I want to do that, still havent tried yet. Penny
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM

I have made a tumbling blocks quilt,using foundation piecing with muslin instead of paper. I acquired the original pattern and put it in my scanner and printed it off on the muslin squares the I attached to a piece of lightly sprayed printer paper. It makes a heavier quilt and probably would not be easy to hand quilt but machine quilts nicely, as you just leave the muslin in.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Some year I'm going to do a tumbling blocks quilt. The prettiest one I've seen uses paper piecing (I don't care for the strip method because I don't want seams on the block "tops"). So I'm wondering if its terribly difficult or just moderately annoying? Anybody really like it?
I really like to paper piece! :-D

I have found Tumbling blocks to be daunting and am afraid to try it, (even with the great pattern from my SQA).

Would you share the resource for the PP blocks pattern please?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I've never tried the EPP...but I do love to PP. I use a light tracing paper from Wally's. Here is a little secret girls....if you can't get every speck of paper out..don't worry....it will come out in the wash and just melt away and make no difference in your finished quilt. Now..don't go leaving those huge hunks in there though!
Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 AM

I just started paper piecing and just love it. But having problems. When the pattern has to be printed on two pages, the 2nd page doesn't match up with the first. The pattern has a 1 inch match on each page. The first page has the right 1 inch match and the 2nd page is slightly off. How do isI get the 2nd page to match the first?
[email protected]
Old 04-04-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm working on a quilt where I have hand pieced everything so far. Across the top I want to spell out "Michigan" and "2010" on the bottom by paper piecing. I've never done this, so my question is it better to PP on machine or can it be done by hand. I feel like I would be cheating if I PP the letters using the machine as everything thus far is hand sewn. What do you think? Am i just being obsessive with this?