Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you stand your own picture? >

Can you stand your own picture?

Can you stand your own picture?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
It's really sad how many of us can't stand to see ourselves in pictures. In discussing quilt labels with the creator's picture on them, so many have said they would not want their own picture on it.

I can totally relate, but I've learned the hard way that it's only my perception and that I don't look nearly as bad as I think I do.
We went to Hawaii a few years ago and had a totally awesome time. I took around 600 pictures. I am in exactly one picture that was taken by someone else. I was at my all time highest weight. But you know what? When my family looks at that picture they never say, "Wow, look how fat mom was!" No, they start talking about how much fun that vacation was.

I don't want to leave my kids thousands of pictures of them and only one or two of me.

Next time the camera is out, slip your arm around someone else (you can hide some "hip-age") and smile big!
The timing of your msg. is odd since I tried to take a cpl. of pix of myself this morn. with my dig. camera. I deleted all of them. I have the same feeling as you though.

We have miles & miles of video from when our kids & grandkids were little & I'm not in any of them. It makes us all cry to watch the ones of our only daughter whom we lost a few yrs. back. The kids always made fun of "mom's narrations" but now they treasure the silly stuff I said.

Now that we've lost Dad as well, I feel it's very important that I have pix of myself for them now. They won't be by my hand though because just one look at myself & I hit the old "delete" button. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the look of myself. I don't even look in the mirror when I get my hair done.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

It's really sad how many of us can't stand to see ourselves in pictures. In discussing quilt labels with the creator's picture on them, so many have said they would not want their own picture on it.

I can totally relate, but I've learned the hard way that it's only my perception and that I don't look nearly as bad as I think I do.
We went to Hawaii a few years ago and had a totally awesome time. I took around 600 pictures. I am in exactly one picture that was taken by someone else. I was at my all time highest weight. But you know what? When my family looks at that picture they never say, "Wow, look how fat mom was!" No, they start talking about how much fun that vacation was.

I don't want to leave my kids thousands of pictures of them and only one or two of me.

Next time the camera is out, slip your arm around someone else (you can hide some "hip-age") and smile big!
The timing of your msg. is odd since I tried to take a cpl. of pix of myself this morn. with my dig. camera. I deleted all of them. I have the same feeling as you though.

We have miles & miles of video from when our kids & grandkids were little & I'm not in any of them. It makes us all cry to watch the ones of our only daughter whom we lost a few yrs. back. The kids always made fun of "mom's narrations" but now they treasure the silly stuff I said.

Now that we've lost Dad as well, I feel it's very important that I have pix of myself for them now. They won't be by my hand though because just one look at myself & I hit the old "delete" button. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the look of myself. I don't even look in the mirror when I get my hair done.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM

I don't mind pics of myself because I almost always try to have someone I love in the pic too. For instance, this is our sailor son, taken as he 'graduated' from nuke school and we went to a restaurant in Charleston. When I look at it I don't see me, I see him
Attached Thumbnails attachment-80320.jpe  
Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 PM

I hated seeing pictures of me thinking how old I look. It made me think of pictures of my own Mother and how precious those are to me. For that reason I want my children to have many pictures of me. Who says I have to look at them anyway ?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Marlys
I have never been "photogenic". We just had a family picture taken & have decided that my DD is the only one who naturally takes good pictures. I also don't like the fact that I am 50 pounds heavier than when I got married. But I will show you a picture of us anyway. It's not too bad!
You must have been a twig when you got married! Nice picture of all of you.
I thought the same thing !!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Turn that camera off or I'm leaving!!!
YOU ARE GORGEOUS AND SUCH A GREAT PERSONALITY TO GO WITH YOUR PRETTY FACE . IF YOU LEAVE WE WILL ALL BE HEARTBROKEN. DON'T DO IT, PLEASE.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Well heck why not!
LOL ok cutie,,, post the real thang!
I done did :lol: Its on here somewhere! :shock:
ISN'T THAT YOU IN YOUR AVATAR ?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Once when a sister and I were looking through old pictures
we came upon one of me in my favorite dress. I LOVED that
dress.

But when I really looked at it, I discovered that the horizontal
stripes made me look fat(er) and the cut of it made me look
like I was slowly sinking into the ground.

I cut up the picture and gave the dress to GoodWill.
Never wanted to see it again.
Lovely colors in it though.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM

Took me along time to like me. Thank God he made us all different. We are all Beautiful. Yes. I did say Beautiful.
Smile hug yourself. Be proud of what you are and what you share. Bless you.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Power Poster

I am extremely camera shy...but one of my few regrets in life is that I refused an offer to do a page 3 swimsuit shoot for a newspaper when I was 18 (I thought it was sexist b.s. and was offended at the time). Would be nice to show my kids I haven't always been a "dinosaur"..