Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Had a Duh quilting moment lately? >

Had a Duh quilting moment lately?

Had a Duh quilting moment lately?

Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
Originally Posted by montanaquilter
i see it too!! well hate to tell you but you'll always see it and be bothered by it so you'd better choose a different block. how about a log cabin block?
anyway, you have an excellent idea going on here and i think i'll give it a try myself!! thanks for the inspiration.
It's already heat N bonded down.

That's ok just set a hot iron down and get the area hot then lift up the heat and bond will come right up. Put a applique cloth down and iron over the spot you will pick up any loose glue that was left. I do it all the time when I do something I don't like!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Great idea and I think the heart is quite an antidote for a "swastika"! Totally cancels it and still looks great!

I sure did! I had purchased 4 of those cloth walmart grocery bags (in black). I took a black sharpie and lined through the bold "Walmart - Paper or Plastic - Neither" part so the whole bag was black. For several weeks I have only been able to find one of them. Well, finally they surfaced when DH was cleaning out his truck. He works for an oil company and gets bags all the time. I really wanted these to use for grocery shopping. So, I gathered them all up and decided I will add a quilt block of some sort so they (DH and Sons) will leave them alone. I have the pieces cut out - laying out on the kitchen counter for maybe four days. I finally sew them up, attach them to bags and am ready to applique them securely down. My youngest son (16) and I go out. Come home and he sees the four bags on the counter and asks "Mom why did you put Swastikas on those bags?" "What, no honey thats a fence rail block" (I liked the green so I made a fourth strip using the green again. Oh, dang I can see it! Why didn't I see it before?) He says, "Wow, my moms gonna carry out her groceries from Walmart in Swastika bags." OMG! What have I done? I couldn't see it before, now it's all I can see.
I tried to camoflage it, but I guess I will always see it now. I can ignore it better this way I think.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 PM

I sure did! I had purchased 4 of those cloth walmart grocery bags (in black). I took a black sharpie and lined through the bold "Walmart - Paper or Plastic - Neither" part so the whole bag was black. For several weeks I have only been able to find one of them. Well, finally they surfaced when DH was cleaning out his truck. He works for an oil company and gets bags all the time. I really wanted these to use for grocery shopping. So, I gathered them all up and decided I will add a quilt block of some sort so they (DH and Sons) will leave them alone. I have the pieces cut out - laying out on the kitchen counter for maybe four days. I finally sew them up, attach them to bags and am ready to applique them securely down. My youngest son (16) and I go out. Come home and he sees the four bags on the counter and asks "Mom why did you put Swastikas on those bags?" "What, no honey thats a fence rail block" (I liked the green so I made a fourth strip using the green again. Oh, dang I can see it! Why didn't I see it before?) He says, "Wow, my moms gonna carry out her groceries from Walmart in Swastika bags." OMG! What have I done? I couldn't see it before, now it's all I can see.
Boy, do I relate to that!!! I made a rail fence quilt for my grandson's graduation. Medium brown, creamy brown and sort of royal blue. He just loved his quilt! But a couple of days later he brought it out to show it to one of his Mom's friends and she said, "Who made you a quilt with swasticas?" Sure enough, I put the first block of three correctly and the second block the wrong way. Mom assured her I was not that kind of person and Keith said he didn't care it was his own quilt and that was that. Except my son asked it I had any leftover fabric that maybe I could fix it.....!!!!Got that? I'd post a picture if I could figure out how. Applicay a flower on part of yours, maybe?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

My friend made the same mistake on her entire quilt. When she brought it into work and after tons of ohhs and ahhhs, she discovered the same thing. Immediately went home and ripped it out and changed it and is now very happy she did.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:11 PM

I have an entire quilt made from the card trick block. I didn't see the swastika until after it was entirely completed! I'm embarrassed to take it out of the closet.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm rolling on the floor laughing. I would not have seen that as a swastika, but hey, I love the heart on it, you made a good save. You would have seen that every time you looked at it. Also that is a great idea. Hide the logo's so you can use them anywhere.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

What a panic, yep ony a kid would see that. I thought it was a great idea until I saw that. The heart was a great save. Now I have to go look at the rail fence doll quilts I just made for my granddaughters and hope I don't see anything but pretty colors. That made my day.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I did the very same thing on a pieced back. I had a few squares left over and put them together in the center with other fabric around them. Very proud of myself. Put it together, quilted, put the binding on, showed hubby. He said "why is there a swastika on the back". What????? I hand stitched another bit of leftover over the center and it isn't as obvious.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Guess I'm weird, but I see it more with the heart on it than without! Well, face it....I am weird. LOL
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

thats a block my husband didn't like for that reason