Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jean Quilts >

Jean Quilts

Jean Quilts

Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 PM

I make lots of denim quilts in different patterns & have sold several of them. I use fleece for the backing. No batting needed with fleece. I get more orders for the rag style & even put photos on some that are ordered.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Max's grandma, I made my son a quilt in the pineapple pattern several years ago, similar to a log cabin. I used blue bandana fabric with it. I use light weight blue chambry for the backing and poly fill batting because of the weight. I did tie it. It is weighty, but very warm. The trick on this pattern is - do not - use any denim with stretch in it. Ask me how I know.The pineapple quilt is done in graduated strips, and uses the back pocket of a man's jeans. Womens and children's pockets are too small. A friend and I made a quilt in early June for a friend celebrating an 80th birthday, and we combined denim and cotton squares and frayed the edges, we made it so it is reversible. To compensate for the denim weight we put three layers of cotton together for the cotton patches. I have the patterns for both if you would like them, just pm. me
Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

I have made two one I posted in May, you could look it up and look at it, I did some fun tags and embroidrey on it. And one for may granddaughter that I have not posted yet, but will get it posted by Monday. God bless. Penny Its under: Jean quilt is.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 AM

I saw here that ;you made a quilt using quilting as you go method. What is it?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:57 AM

I made jean Quilts for my 4 legged Granddaughters Luci and Deeogee. i cut out 12 incs blocks and sewed them square to square. think i used 16 blocks, this is to protect the couch, Luci is a white boxer, Deeogee, is a fawn. oh i forgot the most important piece, i flipped the jean material over and added dog shaped bones to some of the squares. looked real nice. pattern for dog bones --i cut them out of a 50 lb bag of Dog food.--lol
Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by moeind
Originally Posted by max's grandma
Do any of you make jean quilts, if so how do you make them
Haven't made any jean quilts, but I use recycled jeans to make jackets. I tear strip the jeans, sew the pieces together with a decorative stitch and line with colorful (or matching blues) cotton fabric. If I ever figure out how to post a photo, I'll do so.
I love this jacket idea, I will put this on my "to do" list .
Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 AM

Years ago when my kiddoes were wearing out jeans right and left I decided to make a cover for the matress in the back of our van out of the parts of the jeans I cut off when they wore out the knees. I was NOT smart and figured I needed to do the flat fell seams like the jeans had already. Guess how far I got on that before I gave up due to having broken ALL my sewing machine needles...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 AM

I have made several jean quilts and I offset the corners to reduce the bulk..
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM

Forgot to say then I tie them instead of quilting, afraid of messing up sewing machine or breaking needles.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 AM

I have made denim bedspreads for my grand children as they leave for college
Some have flannel backing but that is very heavy. So the last ones were made with a rag finish.
For grand daughter I made it of her Jeans with all the sequins and embroidery. Turned out great