Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organization-how do you do it? >

Organization-how do you do it?

Organization-how do you do it?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Wow, you look organized to me! My fabric is a mess and I desperately need to pull it all out and reorganize. My goal is to make it look as nice as yours does. :!:
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 AM

I have spent the last year buying up fabrics for the pleasure of learning to quilt this winter.
They are in boxes at present time.
I am in the process of the organization for all things quilt related now.
Purchased 9-stackable wood units ( 3'x3' ) each with sliding doors.
Also purchased pretty hydrangia boxes in various sizes to hold projects and accessories together.
The wall for all these units has been cleared and am waiting for help lifting these units to the ceiling.
I am excited.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM

dreamer, it looks like those dreams are coming true.
Have you considered keeping journal of your progress?
How will you be attaching your cabinets to your wall?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Joyce,
They are super solid with a 2'depth.
Don't think landlord would allow bolted to wall.
Can't journal...have a brain injury and memory is an issue.
I just love that everything will be behind sliding wood and glass and I can finally dust easier and keep things cleaner.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Well in a way you have sort of a journal right here on the board, so post often.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM

I use an old computer cabinet, the kind with the pull out keyboard drawer to store my "stuff." That drawer is great for storing oversize rulers, stencils and anything you want to keep flat. In the actual computer area, I keep cuts of fabric 3 yds or more and the tower shelf holds specialty fabrics like flannes and homespuns. In the bottom shelves I keep plastic storage bins with large scraps and whatever. The cabinet has doors that close the entire length which keeps the light and dust out. When I learn how to post a photo, I'll send one.

I realy like the Quilting Board and look forward to reading all the messages, hints, directions. I just joined today and don't quite know how to navigate the site, but will learn. Thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM

I have gotten some pretty neat ideas on organization by starting this thread. I have since weeded through my fabrics more and found a huge bunch to get rid of (ebay here I come)! I have decided I like the shelves better with 1/2 yd and up by color. My second picture was with 1 yd and up, but I don't have enough basket space for the smaller cuts, so 1/2's will be folded onto shelves. What are comic boards? I have heard fo them, but have no clue....
My DH has been wanting to make me a nice cutting/sewing table from a solid door he has, but I have to decide where to put it and then get him going on it!
I will need to move my quilt frame over somewhat to make room for the new table as well as maybe move a few things around. I am thinking that with open shelving under the door/table, I could get rid of some storage pieces I have. SR gets cramped for space really quickly. I would like to place the door/table in the center of the room to be able to utilize shelves on all four sides, but SR is only 11x18 and with the quilt frame it would be hard to do. Need to tear down a wall! LOL
It will give me something to do for the next several weeks though! I know some fellow quilters online have shown pics of how they tiled their floors in the SR with tiles laid out to be a quilt block! Totally cool, but don't think I could get away with that much!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Looks like you got it right .Want to come to my house next :-D I bake cookies for you :-D
Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM

We had some extra wood and my DH cut them to fit and you are right they do come with tops
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
Originally Posted by Juliebelle
I have mine like yours all the cottons are done on the comic boards and sorted by color in my wire baskets in racks and fat quarters and charm packs in baskets, 1/2 yards are in baskets too. I have 2 containers of scraps and 1 basket that I keep on the floor for larger leftover pieces. Just re arranged my area so it is really clean now, I also got one of the Safeco tables with the adjustable shelf to set my machine on, works great I will post pics tomorrow :)
Juliebelle, where did you find the Safeco table? It's just what I need.
I'm not Juliebelle, but I have some ideas for you on the Safco table. Fortunately, I picked mine up for only $15 at a Salvation Army store. So, you might pay attention to the thrift stores. Otherwise, here are a few places they're available:

For $95.99 and only $2.95 shipping from Overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/Office-Furn...2/product.html

For $99 -

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Other places:

http://www.thefind.com/furniture/bro...computer-table

Hope this helps. I sure do LOVE mine!! They're made very well, quite sturdy and heavy. I do get a little vibration at high speeds, but it is still my best option for flat bed sewing at this point.