Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I think this is beautiful and have seen one in the nursing home where my cousin is. I would think of buying less expensive yet good quality material as I don't think you will profit much after your time, material, thread etc. The price range of $15.00 to $20.00 sounds reasonable but your profit after paying so much for the material will not really seem like it would be worth your time and effort.
Sorry
Old 07-31-2010, 09:18 AM

Your walker bags are lovely and I think would be a hit. I think an affordable price, using less expensive fabric, would be $20. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM

JanetM
First of all... let me say that I love your bag. I agree with the other quilters to try to get a cheaper price in fabric. I, myself, on disability not being 'old' yet; find it difficult to buy things for myself. I was on a walker for 3 years due to my back; BUT if my daughter would have seen one of these no doubt in my mind, she would have paid $20 to $25 for it. I ended up using a fanny pack wrapped around my walker at that time, I had to use the 'big' walker. Now 130 lbs lighter & my back operation, no more walker for me! Praise the Lord for that!
Just a thought that you just might want to make some bigger bags for people who use the wider walkers.
As someone else suggested, family members could always purchase one for a loved one in a nursing home. They could request that 'NO ONE Wash their bag' only a family member & that wish is granted. Ask how I know... my daughter is a nurse at a nursing home. Quilters take different things to display at her nursing home & family members purchase them.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Hi Janet,
I am new here but I have made these in the past and been able to sell them for $30.00 using the fabrics from your LQS. However if you could get your fabrics at a sale price as I have then I was able to sell them for $20.00. The higher price ones were sold to family members who bought for a relative and the lower price were more apt to be purchased by the home residents themselves.
I have also in the past made some as freebies for the homes to give to those who have no monies for such an item and they are much appreciated.
Good luck in your venture and believe me when you see there happy faces you know that you have made a difference.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 PM

I really do appreciate all the responses my topic has received.

I am going to give much thought to all of the opinions, but it goes without saying that I would need to find a more affordable source for fabric and batting to keep the cost down. I need to find the quality of fabric I desire at a better price, so I could price the finished bag accordingly.

If I were to sell them to the facility I mentioned it would be necessary to make each one unique. The residents eat their meals in a beautiful dining room, but after they are seated their walkers are placed near the walls to be out of the way. Each bag would have to be unique so that each residents walker would be easily identified. I also think they would appreciate having a bag that is uniquely theirs. My intent would be to make bags that are suitable for women and masculine ones for the gentlemen.

I think medical supply stores and hospital gift shops are very good ideas.

I have a lot to think about, deciding on how much time I want to devote to this endeavor, and maybe test the market to see if it is even viable.

Thank you, EVERYONE for your thoughts and suggestions. I really do value your opinions. :thumbup:
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by Candace
Janet, don't take what people would pay personally. It's no reflection on your talent and work. There are a lot of people who won't pay more than $50 for a king sized "handmade" quilt from China. With sweatshop labor so prevalent in our market and economy, many folks are used to paying 10 cents an hour for labor! It truly makes selling our home made goods, very hard. And usually only to people who understand we aren't slave laborers here in the U.S.
I understand that. We have had many threads about how non-quilters don't understand the value of what we do.
BUT this comment was from a fellow quilter. :-( :-( :-(
Actually, I've only made one quilt and a lap size, so I don't think I really qualify as a 'fellow quilter'. Please disregard my opinion on the price of $10-$15.00 and listen to the real quilters. I'll just keep my mouth shut in the future.
You are a "fellow quilter" and I do appreciate your opinion. I was not offended in the least.

You've reminded me that everyone has their own personal threshold of what they are willing to pay for different things. I know that, for me, I am willing to pay a princely sum for some things, and there are other things I will only purchase if I perceive it to be very affordable or a real bargain.

I asked for honest opinions, and I welcome everyone's. Please don't hesitate to be heard, everyone's opinion matters. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I think some people worry about "valuable/unique" things "disappearing" in nursing homes.

Therefore, the unwillingness to pay a lot for a walker bag.

I do like the idea of each one being unique.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Dont forget the P.T. gyms and offices, could check durable medical goods catalog for pricing, also volunteer to do a how to classes as an activity, over several weeks then offer to sell to non-class takers!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

Or sell the instructions/pattern?

Sometimes people (including me) are willing to buy the pattern, the fabric, etc - and balk at purchasing the already made item.

(And after we figured out how much time and money it took, we kick ourselves for not buying it to begin with!)
Old 07-31-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Or sell the instructions/pattern?

Sometimes people (including me) are willing to buy the pattern, the fabric, etc - and balk at purchasing the already made item.

(And after we figured out how much time and money it took, we kick ourselves for not buying it to begin with!)
I had to laugh at this one. I will see things at craft fairs and my husband will say "go ahead and buy that if you like it". I of course say "no, I can make that myself" and then I don't. I've kicked myself more than once for doing this. :lol: :lol: :lol: