Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Anyone know what this pattern is called? >
  • Anyone know what this pattern is called?

• Anyone know what this pattern is called?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by MaineGirl76
    This is NOT mine. I saw this on Etsy and fell in love with the pattern. Can anyone tell me the name of it and where to find it? Thanks!

If this belongs to someone on this board I just want to say great job!
    Yes, this piece is called "New Orleans Puzzle". I've made sev. of them & really love them. I do stitch in the ditch over every line so it gets tedious. They always come out looking great.
    Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I believe it is in the "card trick" family. I've seen it somewhere. Will search more tonight.

Kwhite, I'm thinking that is the name!
    Nope. It's "New Orleans Puzzle". A shop owner in my area has the pattern patented. She took the idea from somebody else though & discovered it hadn't been patented so she jumped on it. I wasn't happy to learn that.

I'm trying to find pix somewhere on here to show you a cpl. of mine. I need a roadmap to find things on my computer.
    Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I Googled star spin and that is what it is. It is beautiful.
    I ck'd the site you found & I was so surprised. I think this pattern has been around the block (the whole country). It was really hot all up & down the west coast a few yrs. ago.

I have the pattern but it requires 2 templates otherwise it's impossible to do. After all of this discussion about patent restrictions, I'd be nervous about sharing it though.

Yes, it is a little tricky but fun.
    Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM

I bought the pattern 2 years ago when I was in an Amish area in upstate NY. I have the fabric to do it in navy with rose to pink. I'm hoping it will be my next project.
    Just be careful with color placement so it doesn't end up looking like interlocking swastikas.
    Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by loreen
    I bought a kit when we just went to Lancaster Pa. When I got home I had to complete it. It is great! Not hard to complete. Here is photo of mine. Love it!
    Your quilt is beaut. I hadn't seen it as a part of the square. Mine are table toppers of just the 8 sections. Like the first pix somebody showed on here.
    Old 08-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
    Originally Posted by loreen
    I bought a kit when we just went to Lancaster Pa. When I got home I had to complete it. It is great! Not hard to complete. Here is photo of mine. Love it!
    Your quilt is beaut. I hadn't seen it as a part of the square. Mine are table toppers of just the 8 sections. Like the first pix somebody showed on here.
    I apologize for being so quick to include the name we know this pc. to be. I didn't know it's had so many names. I still don't understand how our shop owner was able to patent it. She makes it clear that nobody is to share it but to tell people to go buy the pattern from her. I know this sounds suspicious but that's the latest word on it.

It will be interesting to bring that topic up with her & not appear confrontational. Hmmm.
    Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM

That is a beautiful pattern and the pictures of the quilt were awesome! Thanks for sharing the site.

Originally Posted by Lady-T
    Yea it's Star Spin....

Check out this beauty!!!
    http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs205.shtml
    Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 AM

Check out Amish names, but I stopped at a QUILTS shop in North Conway, NH this summer, and I'm thinking the lady there said the name of this star is "Tossing Star", 'Turning Star" Or 'Tumbling Star" something like that. But the lady and I had an interesting conversation. By the way, this store only had quilts to sell and NO FABRIC. But I looked and talked anyway.
    Old 08-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to try it. It is gorgeous. Still looks complicated but, I'm going to give it a whirl. You did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM

I did this last year in a class. Pattern is "Crazy Eight Strip Teaser" A Table Topper by "The 3/4 Crazies" Lake Havasu City, AZ Jae's Attic, P.O. Box 3574, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86405, email: [email protected]. Hope this helps. Karen P