Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BATICS!!!!!!!!!!  Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome! >

BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

BATICS!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt Anyone Tell me They are SO awesome!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Oh yeah, you got it bad girl! I love all kinds of fabrics, even the ugly ones, feel sorry for them bc nobody wants em!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Carrieanne, I bought some of the Connecting Threads batiks and they are divine!!!!!!!!
Don't hit me! lol
lolol what she said....and if someone takes your catalogue, u can still order them online, lmfao
Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Me too! If not for the batik block swap, I never would have looked at batiks. They are so beautiful.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
I went to conference once in Detroit and a friend and I stayed an extra two days to shop hop in the small towns in the surrounding area. Bought so many Batiks I had to buy another suitcase (at the airport) to go home cuase I was overweight. Not sure what my total fabric bill for that trip was- got to the point I just handed them my plastic, signed it and didn't look at the $$. Fun trip.
OMG... now that is indeed my idea of heaven. I cannot even imagine being able to shop for fabric with that kind of freedom but from now on, when I dream of heaven, that's what I'm gonna dream about!!!! Hugs and smiles.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 PM

Absewlutely Batiks.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Can someone explain what a batic fabric is?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 PM

My favorite shop here, Fabric Depot, is having 250 selected bolgts of Bali Batiks on sale for $6.99 thruogh Monday 10/11!

I'm not even going to their web site! :shock: :shock:
Love them..
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 PM

I looooove batiks.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
lue

Batiks are my favorite quilt fabric and if you LOVE them and want a good price, call Golden D'Or Fabrics in Dallas. They don't have a catalogue but believe me, all their batiks are so beautiful that you can just name colors & tell them to send them to you! They are $2.50-3.50 per yard!!! Great quality. I just discovered them & shared about them a few weeks ago. I'm ordering more on line (when my current stash diminishes).
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 PM
lue

Someone wanted to know what batiks are. Here's what Wikipedia says (more information than you probably wanted to know):

Batik is a cloth that traditionally uses a manual wax-resist dyeing technique.

Javanese traditional batik has special meanings rooted to the Javanese conceptualization of the universe. Traditional colours include indigo, dark brown, and white, which represent the three major Hindu Gods (Brahmā, Visnu, and Śiva). This is related to the fact that natural dyes are most commonly available in indigo and brown. Certain patterns can only be worn by nobility; traditionally, wider stripes or wavy lines of greater width indicated higher rank. Consequently, during Javanese ceremonies, one could determine the royal lineage of a person by the cloth he or she was wearing.

Other regions of Indonesia have their own unique patterns that normally take themes from everyday lives, incorporating patterns such as flowers, nature, animals, folklore or people. The colours of pesisir batik, from the coastal cities of northern Java, is especially vibrant, and it absorbs influence from the Javanese, Arab, Chinese and Dutch culture. In the colonial times pesisir batik was a favorite of the Peranakan Chinese, Dutch and Eurasians.[citation needed]

UNESCO designated Indonesian batik as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity on October 2, 2009. As part of the acknowledgment, UNESCO insisted that Indonesia preserve their heritage.

Batik or fabrics with the traditional batik patterns are also found in several countries such as Malaysia, Japan, China, Azerbaijan, India, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Nigeria, Senegal, and Singapore. Malaysian batik often displays plants and flowers, as Islam forbid pictures of other living beings.