Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Presents >

Christmas Presents

Christmas Presents

Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM

Pillowcases for gr-grands. Potholders and potato bags for married grands.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:18 PM

I am making snap purses with novelty prints and putting gifts in them
Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 PM

I'm making pillowcases, potholders, crochet snowflakes, cookies. I think I'm running out of time already.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
What is everyone doing for Christmas? What you making? I'm hoping to start something soon (kids and I always make something). I want something easy that I can give to everyone (including couples), like placemats or coasters, or something like that. Any ideas?

I am making Pot Pinchers in pairs, 1 small one for the lady of the house and 1 larger one for the male chef. It's fun making those.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

I have five sisters and one brother. We have a picture of all of us girls in a pyramid, taken probably innnnnnn 1980? I plan to use different butterflies in a block for each of us. I was puzzled as to what to do for my brother, as he was not in the picture. I will be adding a colorful caterpillar to the bottom of the wall hanging. I also want to copy the faces and add them to each butterfly and caterpillar. I don't who still has a copy of the picture, but it should bring some laughs.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Last year made lots of potholders for gifts (daughters and my girl friends). This year have made cute pillowcases for all the grandkids and good start on the hexegon tabletoppers for the daughters and my friends. One way to practice some new things, being a newby at quilting! Recipients don't notice my errors.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Did you see the youtube.com video on tube pillowcases? They're the neatest thing ever and so easy too.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM

My big question right now is......What to send my Angelee????

Been thinking about this and do have a few thoughts on the subject......and will get them out around the 15th (or so)
and then continue with the family....

Of course, with the family, I have been collecting gifts since I started last December 26th for this coming year.

After my mailing, I have 10 days to set everything in place and enjoy a wonderful Christmas......

Maerry, merry everyone !!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM

I read all three pages and left to go find you a link to my boys' snowmen that they make every year.....then I come back and it's 5 pages! You are already going to have a long list of ideas.

I'm making 4 baby afghans and 2 baby quilts to cover the 6 babies that are coming within the next 2 months. I'm making 2 sewing organizers for a couple Christmas parties. They fold up and you can take your little hand sewing tools and stuff in them. It's a free pattern from www.butterick.com.

You did mention in your original post you were looking for ideas for your kids to help. Here are a couple ideas.

Every year, until this year, we have made snowmen paperweights for the kids' teachers. This year, all of the teachers but one have already received a snowman from us within the last few years. So...this year we are making criss cross coasters. Each teacher will get a set either 4 or 6 each, we need to make sure how much fabric we have. The link came directly from a thread here.

http://www.allsorts.typepad.com/alls...ross_coas.html

It's easy enough that any of my kids (aged 6-9) can fold and cut and make them. All I do is the stitching. They love them and can't wait to try making them.

I looked all over for a link to the snowmen we make and cannot find it anywhere. The last 2 years we haven't even used the website because we had the directions memorized. There was a point in time that my oldest son had 4 different teachers for his various needs and he had to make one for EACH teacher EACH year. We've made a ton. They are super easy and super cheap to make.

Here are the directions:

Gatorade Bottle
Beans or rice
1 new white sock
Hot glue and gun
Pipe Cleaners of various colors
1 sheet of felt
google eyes
black buttons

Fill Gatorade bottle with beans or rice. Put sock over it to make your snowman. Glue open end of sock to bottom of bottle. Cut one 1/2 to 3/4" wide strip the length of your felt piece. This is the scarf. Take the remainder of the felt and fold into a triangle to make the hat. Wrap it around the top of the gatorade bottle to form the hat. Glue in place.

Glue on google eyes, small piece of orange pipe cleaner or an orange button for nose, and buttons for the chest. Then, to make arms, use 3 pieces of black pipe cleaner. Cut on in half and make it into a little hand shape. Glue to one end of long pipe cleaner. Glue the 2 arms to the back of the bottle and extend the arms.

You are all finished. In the end it will look like the snowman is trying to give whoever is holding it a hug. It's very cute and kid friendly. Doesn't take very long or a lot of materials. Google eyes, pipe cleaner, and felt are all pretty cheap.

Sorry this was so long...just couldn't find the darn link!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Well I started out thinking I'd make bow tuck purses, then someone posted nice placemats so I changed to that, then someone posted professional totes,so that was what I was making, the next thing posted was potholders so I changed to that. Now it cup organizers, What next? Christmas is getting closer and I keep seeing new ideas, each one better than the last. And I still haven't started anything. HOHOHO.