Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much yardage do you buy when..... >

How much yardage do you buy when.....

How much yardage do you buy when.....

Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 PM

If I really love it I buy 5 yards just in case I need it for a large project in the future. Guess that's why I have so much fabric in my stash.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM

Patricia, your fabric is beautiful. I would have bought it too.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Ok I am brand new to quilting. What is focus fabric? Is that the fabric that goes between the blockS?That is what I am thinking anyway?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Berta48
Ok I am brand new to quilting. What is focus fabric? Is that the fabric that goes between the blockS?That is what I am thinking anyway?
Focus fabric is the fabric you build your quilt around. Then you pick other fabrics, lights and darks, to go with it in your blocks, and if you want to put strips of fabrics between the blocks that is called sashing.

Instructor for my first quilt class said to buy 3 yards of a fabric so you would have enough for a future quilt as the focus fabric and border. I try to get 3.5 in case of cutting mistakes and to have enough for binding.

Creams and off whites are what I use the most as lights or background fabrics, so if I find some I like on sale I try to buy at least 5 to 6 yards, enough for 2 quilts. May in Jersey
Old 10-25-2010, 04:19 AM

I buy 3 yards, u nless I am really in love with the fabric. Then, I might buy 6 yards! :roll:
Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Years ago when I learned to quilt my instructor, ruthie miller, told us how to buy fabric. I hope I quote her correctly. "If you see a fabric you like, buy a yard. If you see a fabric that's calling your name everywhere you go in the shop, buy 3 yards. If you see a fabric that makes you want to rip off your clothes and wrap up in it, buy at least 5 yards."

A word to the wise about impulse buying a single fabric, however. I have a ton of fabric, most of which has nothing to go with it because every year the industry changes the shade of teal, or fucia, or purple, etc. I did a lot of 'spontaneous' buying in my early days. My husband says I'll never live long enough to use it all up!

However, I have now fallen in love with making handbags and those onetime 'useless' one yard cuts are going to make some gorgeous 'designer original' bags that cannot be duplicated because THEY DON'T MAKE THAT FABRIC ANYMORE!
HA-HA-HA! I WIN AFTER-ALL.

Now that my income has been dratically cut due to my hubby's stroke at the age of 55, I only buy fabric with a project in mind ... most of the time; although I still tend to collect blacks and whites and I love fat quarters and scrap quilts.

And, my fabric 'library' gives me lots of pleasure when I take it out and look at it, even if I don't use it. (Just like hubby's DVDs!)

Peggy in Sunny Florida
Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM

I always buy 5 yds., that way I always have extra - for another quilt, etc. Because I don't buy fabric unless I love it. I'll always find use for it.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 AM

I always 'group" my fabrics with a light, medium and dark... and buy all that is left on the bolt up to 6 or 7 yards of the light, less of the medium and lesser of the dark. If I cannot match it, I leave it there.

Or if matching fabric is in the same line, I might go for more if I can "see" a possible project: Irish treble chain.

I might add to my stash if it is on sale and I am short on "browns" or "beige" or "white" or "black"; it is never short on blues or bright colors. Or I can just make up excuses and just go for more fabric....
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
I always 'group" my fabrics with a light, medium and dark... and buy all that is left on the bolt up to 6 or 7 yards of the light, less of the medium and lesser of the dark. If I cannot match it, I leave it there.

Or if matching fabric is in the same line, I might go for more if I can "see" a possible project: Irish treble chain.

I might add to my stash if it is on sale and I am short on "browns" or "beige" or "white" or "black"; it is never short on blues or bright colors. Or I can just make up excuses and just go for more fabric....
You are a woman after my own heart; "...make up excuses and just go for more fabric." If a fabric "calls out to me" I can find a project for it more often than not. Everything in my stash at present has a purpose with the exception of a 7/8 of a yard of Puffins on cream. The little guys are just so darn cute I know I can work them into a child's gift. So many fabrics and just not enough hours in the day.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 PM

I always try to get a minimum of 3