Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Makers >

Bias Tape Makers

Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
I'm not sure if these are what you are asking about but, if they are, I have a friend who uses them and loves them. You can also get them in wider sizes.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers
When my grown kids come over they iron and roll.Its great!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM

I don't have a Hunter here and sorry my Bernina dealer repair man is! I had to take my 830 in today and he won't be back to work until next Monday!! I'm bummed as I was in the middle of embroiderying a sweatshirt for Grand DD Birthday this week!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 PM

OMG - you definitely need a Bias Tape Maker. I've seen Sewing with Nancy demonstrating the technique.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I have a drawer full and love them when I remember to use them. I've seen online somewhere (probably YouTube) where someone just used straight pins pinned to the ironing board to do the same thing as the bias makers.
I just used this method with the straight pin on the ironing board and it works great. I have 4 bia tape makers and the size I needed I could not find that to save my life. So I went on-line and saw where a person could use a straight pin and an iron and make bia tape. Worked out great and I got the color of tape I needed to finish the potholders I was working on.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Back in the old days (60'/70's) when none of these amazing gadgets were available we used a long straight pin pinned to the ironing board cover near the end of the board making the space the width you want your tape to finish up. If you are using 2 1/2" strip the space should be 1 1/4"(or as close as you can get it). Fold the fabric in half & thread it through the space, then pull it under the iron slowly with one hand while holding the iron with the other. Did I make it clear enough?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM

I don't make separate strips - I use the method where you mark the strips on your piece of material, then sew the two edges of the material together after you have moved one side over by one strip. I then cut a continuous strip with scissors. I like this method the best, as I am not sewing ends together all of the time and I can take my time to do the scissor cutting.
If I want to make this strip into 3 folds, I use the bias binding tubes to push it through and iron it as it comes out of the tube. My tubes cost me $3 each.However, I have seen them at $15 lately since the bias weaving has become popular.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:09 PM

I bought a strip cutter and the bias tape maker. You are limited on the size of your bias tape. It will press up to 2 inches. does a good job. I like mine a little bigger. They have approx 5 different sizes. The largest is a 2 1/4 . I plan on buying that. Good investment. I love mine. Saves on ironing. I just fold it over on my quilt and sew. alot quicker.

Sabrina
Old 11-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
If I want to make this strip into 3 folds, I use the bias binding tubes to push it through and iron it as it comes out of the tube. My tubes cost me $3 each.However, I have seen them at $15 lately since the bias weaving has become popular.

JOAnn's had them for $10.00 @, with 50% coup they were $5.00. Best price I saw on them . They work with or w/out the pressing machine thingy.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
... I'm doing a series of wall hangings replicating the stained glass windows ...
I love using the Clover bias tape maker for 1/4" bias tape. I use a little sizing spray or starch on the bias strip, put it through the little folding mechanism and press when it comes out. Voila! I've used it for applique vines and stained glass quilts. My daughters each made a stained glass quilt, and used purchased iron-on bias tape also by Clover. Stitch it on using a double needle,and it's beautiful!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127158.jpe  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Well a few days ago in another thread I wrote about loosing my bias tape makers ==never to be seen.
Maybe they took off to that thrift store and sold for 50 cents. Aother lady talked about a maker too.
Few days before had seen the electric or battery type at
local Wallmart for $50. but I didn't want that--want the
ones I have owned for yrs but use rarely. Mine were all
metal not plastic inside like the "Clover Brand" -a quater inch also a 2 in but worked the same.