Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >
  • Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

• Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 PM

Step away from it for a while - some days we are our own worst critic. Another day you might look at it and wonder what was so bad.
    Maybe get some scrap materials and make some samples of quilts you would like to make in the future. Remember these are "idea" blocks and do not need to be perfect.
    Practice! I don't know of anybody who does anything well without it. (If you know of someone please let me know so I can shake their hand!)
    Have fun!!!!!! Make a mistake in every quilt and see if anybody notices. (kind of like I spy or where's Waldo thing)
    Don't give up! Making a perfect quilt is NOT life or death.
    Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 PM
    Power Poster

What more can I add...other than don't give up. Take it easy, measure twice, cut once, pin carefully or glue baste, and if you have trouble with keeping to that quarter inch, invest in a quarter inch seam guide and lightly pencil along your seam, follow the seam with the needle and there you have it! Slow and steady is the best speed....and stop being so hard on yourself.
    Old 11-29-2010, 11:51 PM
    Power Poster

Is it possible to work with other people or take a class. i learn so much from others. We help each other. Hang in there. also who says it has to be all perfect. I just gave a book to the mother of my soon to be daughter in law. I think it is by Gwen Marston Liberated Quilt Making and it talks about quilts not being perfect. Her quilts in the book are adorable.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7aiuo8qixi_b
    Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 AM

I don't think there's a person here who's made a quilt without running into any sort of trouble. Sometimes we don't get the fabric we want, the color scheme is wrong, have to deviate from the original idea, we cut the pieces all wrong, our seams and points don't quite match up, our blocks aren't square, can't get the layers of the quilt straight, the quilting snags in the machine, our thread breaks, the binding gets wavy, or something else doesn't quite go right. Sometimes we have doubts our ideas and think "they're gonna say I'm crazy!". Some of us have made an "ugly quilt" where we think everything is wrong with it. But we sure don't quit.

You sound like you're meant to be a quilter. You want to try and keep going at it even though you wonder if you're really meant to be a quilter. To quote the drummer from my favorite band (though she was giving advice to people wanting to learn the drums, this could apply here as well): "Practice because you're not going to get it on the first try".
    Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 AM

Please hold on, but slow down a bit and relax. Try to enjoy the process and to accept the result, telling yourself you gave your best. This is good enough. In the end, quilting is no brain surgery but a lovely hobby :) You go girl, big cyber quilting hugs from Germany.
    Old 11-30-2010, 02:45 AM

I think everyone has said it but I'll add my two cents worth...breathe: it is only you that you have to please, slow down: quilting is meant to be a pleasure not a chore...and lastly: nothing has to be perfect...otherwise we would all be named God! Relax and enjoy the process.
    Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 AM

Well, Gina, I just said the same thing the other day - maybe I should sell my machines and just stick to cooking, which I do much better than quilting!!! My problem is I can't sew a straight line no matter how hard I try. Points are hard to match up and my quilts are never square. But, I'm not going to give up the ghost just yet!
    Old 11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
    Banned

I have been doing this for a long time and now and then I still have one that gets under my skin. Hang in there and to restate what someone else said....enjoy the process and the thought.
    Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 AM
    Banned

I felt the same way. I took a basic quilting class and loved it, so I signed up for the next level. Different instructor. I walked out of that first class in tears determined NEVER to quilt again, that it wasn't for me. Fortunately my first instructor had given me (and all the class) her home phone number. I called her to cry on her shoulder and she invited me over to her house to take lessons with a private group she had going there. The instructor was my friend JoeAnn, and the rest is history. You can get it. I would suggest taking a beginners class at one of your LQS, and go on from there. You will learn valuable tips and make friends too. Hang in there and good luck. If I can do it, anyone can!
    Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 AM

I know it has all been said....but I would just pick one project and finish it. It doesn't matter what happened during the process. Just do the best you can and I am certain when you are finished you will feel a sense of accomplishment and ready to tackle the next one....Each one will get a little better.

Good Luck and Don't be so hard on yourself....