Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-30-2010, 04:07 AM

I just took a quilting class and made a table topper. it is sitting right now, waiting to be quilted and the border put one. That will wait until after Christmas. What I am doing now, is making some very simple rag quilts. I have never sewn anything in my life and sooooooooooo want to learn to quilt. So, the reason for the rag quilts (I need to make 6 for GK's) is to practice and hone my sewing skills. I sewed my first two rows together last night and some of the blocks don't quite line up. Now, I am a perfectionist by nature and I looked at that, was going to rip it out and said No! part of my learning curve. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes. Don't be so hard on yourself. Good Luck and whatever you do, hang in there!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:13 AM

I've been enjoying all the help given on this thread and I've made quilts (really imperfect ones) for about 14 years! So much of what you all are telling her I have only learned in the past year or so, through trial and error (wish I'd patented the seam ripper...I'd be rich!) or through forums and boards much like this one. Luckily she will have access to classes, where she will meet new friends, get new ideas, learn new techniques, and I bet things will really start going after that... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT ALL SHE WILL CREATE!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I use my seam ripper as much as my machine! lol... Try taking a few classes. I did that and got a lot of helpful tips that saved me from being bald.
I am known as the only person in the world with a Fons and Porter ergonomically designed seam ripper that is totally dull. If we were meant to be born quilters there would be no reason for all those fun tools. We all make mistakes, we all cover up our mistakes one way or another (unless we get so angry at it that we kick it across the room and then the dog makes a mad dash for it and lays down on it). But we eventually correct it, remember forever our mistake and vow to never do that again, (which we invariably do), and we love every minute we cut out those pieces, baste, stitch, rip, pull, and finally after the two weeks of binding it all, we look at it and with all the pride in the world say the famous words of Steve Urkel "DID I DO THAT?" I make mistakes and I learn from them (most of the time). Don't ever give up. Don't ever make a job of it. Don't ever get discouraged (because believe you me, you will want to quit (for a few minutes) because if you do quit or get discouraged you may never know what it may have looked like. Edie
Old 11-30-2010, 04:23 AM

Please don't be so hard on yourself, I have at least 4 seam rippers...they seem to get dull quickly with all the seams I rip out. as many before have said its a journey ...we have all been there..some of us [me] are still there..so hang in there ..hugs Yetta.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 AM

Go to Missouri Star. They have a gazillion tutorial videos through YouTube. I have learned so much from them.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM

There are no bad quilts. There are no bad quilts...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 AM
bjr

I don't think any quilt is perfect, that's why they are originals. What really helped me is using a 1/4" foot and cutting my fabric as exact as possible, and I also go to the trouble of squaring up all my blocks before I sew them together....those things sure make putting blocks/quilts together so much easier.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:36 AM

I am new to quilting and have decided that it will take time to get it perfect so for now I will just keep practicing and enjoy the craft of quilting. My girls think everything I make is the best so that is all that matters. Our little imperfections make it our own creation.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Originally Posted by OrangeSherbet
There are no bad quilts. There are no bad quilts...
Like she said...THERE ARE NO BAD QUILTS!!!

I am fairly new, and find I have some HORENDOUS (spelling?) days and some that are pretty good where I feel I can almost enter the quilt in a local contest!!! But those days are fewer than the seam ripper and me spending time together!!! :(

Just relax, take a break, and more important...
get more backup from all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Look into a Learn to Quilt class at a LQS and start with the basics. Sometimes we try to learn things on our own or by reading a book, but that is a lot of work! Go to a LQS or sewing machine store that offers classes and ask who the best teacher is for "newbies." They will know who has the patience to help you. Plus, independent stores have a reputation to maintain, so they will screen their applicants to find people who are the most knowledgeable.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here and say something that may not be popular...please understand I am only speaking from my own experience, and am not criticizing all box store employees. It has been MY experience that sometimes the J-store hires people who may not be expert quilters. I recently was buying a quilting ruler and was offered a job there to teach quilting. The person offering the job had never met me before, never asked me about my training or experience, and never asked to see even one of my quilts. I could be a terrible quilter, or well-meaning but inexperienced quilter, and she would not have known. I guess they were short of help and just assumed I'd be okay. This concerned me because customers deserve to have a good teacher.

In addition, I have recently taught 3 women to quilt who had been taking a class for beginners at that same store. All 3 were going to quit quilting because the experience was so bad (teacher laughing at them when they made mistakes, teacher not giving individual help, just staying in her chair, no pattern available, starting with a huge project instead of a smaller, more manageable one, etc.). These women decided to give it one more try by coming into the sewing machine store where I work. They have been delighted and very appreciative of the time and knowledge that all our employees have shared with them. They have also taken several classes since the Learn to Quilt series and are becoming great quilters.

About a year ago my daughter took a machine mastery class from the sewing machine dealer within the J-store because her machine, purchased from a friend, is a different brand than mine. Her machine works well, but the woman who taught the class had been sewing only 3 months, had no idea of how to teach, and couldn't even show the new people how to thread their machines. She was trying to sell machines on the floor, ring the register and answer the phone WHILE teaching this machine mastery class!!! She gave out fabric swatches to the students in the class and told them to "practice sewing on these while I help some customers who are buying thread." When she came back, one student held up a fabric swatch and asked what it was, meaning what type of fabric. The teacher said "It's blue." She couldn't even identify that it was twill. Not everyone may know twill from cotton, but they should not be teaching a class until they have more experience, and they certainly shouldn't be taking money from customers for a class when they are also selling and ringing a register. In this case I'd have to fault the manager for putting an inexperienced employee in an impossible situation. (and yes, I do realize that the sewing machine business is separate from the box store.) My apologies in advance to all you hard-working and experienced quilting teachers who work for large companies; I truly do not mean to offend anyone. My experiences may not be typical of all box stores.

It just makes me sad to think of people quitting because they couldn't find a good teacher to help and encourage them. That said, I am sure there are many fine and capable quilting teachers in all sorts of environments, so if you are a great teacher in a box store, please don't think I am criticizing you...I just want the new people reading this to keep looking until they find a teacher who is experienced enough to help them. Don't give up on quilting!

May we all be blessed to have good teachers and mentors in the lives of all those we love.