Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-30-2010, 06:20 PM

I you want to hand ty a quilt I used a snow flake stitch on some placemats I just made. This is very nice looking and fun to do. The fabric was a horse barn scene with snow falling. The backside was plaine blue that really added to the plai fabric Have fun
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Once you have sewed the blocks press the seams if they are not straight re sew the seam straight. This is a big help. Also re square the squares. Also starch the fabric after you sew them.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM

[quote=quilter in the making].......... I did take a beginning quilting class at a LQS and it was a nightmare. ............we definitely did not get what we paid for and that was a quilting class.

If there is one in your area, join a quilting group or a guild. Great suggestion to check out a senior's centre, too. As a relative beginner I was hesitant to join the local guild, but it has some great advantages. Yes, there are some scary quilt police there, but I think there are some tough personalities in any group of people. The biggest advantage I've found at the local guild is that we get discounts at the local LQS's and classes at the guild at always far less expensive than at the LQS. And the sewing days are really fun. The perfectionists tend to hangout together and that leaves lots of help from friendly people for the rest of us LOL!
How very unfortunate you had such a lousy class experience. I have a friend who was beginning to quilt and having a terrible time until we figured out the problem......her ruler was slipping around just the tiniest bit. A little Invisagrip and she's been transformed. The smallest bits of info sometimes turnout to be the greatest confidence builders in the long run.
Glad you're here on the board. There are so many accomplished quilters here, and even better than that there are so many generous, talented, and sensitive teachers.
Have fun and Merry Quilting!!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Don't quit. It will come. I know exactly how you feel because I went through the same thing. Then all of a sudden, things started to get better. Get yourself a 1/4 inch foot, work slowly, enjoy yourself, and before you know it things will get better.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 PM

please be careful of self fulfilling prophecy. It's a killer.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by GrandPa
I'm a new quilter myself but have really benefited so far by using Sharon Schamber's method of using Elmer's School Glue for basting the seams before sewing. It made all the difference for me, especially dealing with my disability. She has some free videos that demonstrate how, and why, she does it.

Try this link:
http://sharonschambernetwork.com/Cla...The-Angel.aspx
I watched that today and I loved it, I think I learned a little something. Every little bit helps! Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were beautiful quilts made over night. Give it time...like one said, start over, take a deep breath and breathe!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 PM

I am feeling your pain.. I just keep trudging on..It's funny, two of the hardest things for me were- cutting a straight stip..This was partly due to the fact that my self taught cousin was teaching me how to fold and square up fabric and nothing was coming out right..After many youtube vids I found out she had taught me that the salvage edge was actually the raw edge lmao. It took me forever to over come that mental block!And all though my techniques are getting slowly expanding.. I stilllll struggle with sewing a striaght 1/4 line even with a 1/4" foot(laugh)..I'm praying my new machine will give me an edge over this problem..
Just keep watching all the how to vids that address your problem areas and ask lots of questions..And it doesnt hurt to practice stuff on a smaller scale until you tackle it. A wonky binding on a tablerunner would not be so crushing as one on a quilt you've put eons of time into..
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 AM

Don't feel bad because I have the exact same problem. The quilts I made years ago were perfect, now I can't sew a straight seam and I have a 1/4 foot. I too have the Go and, if you have the strip set, alternate the direction when sewing strips together. I was having the same problem with my pieces coming out "wonky" when I'd sew them together. Then I tried sewing one piece on, turning the quilt to the bottom and starting there to sew the second. Not sure I make it clear but just alternate the directions you sew each together. If that doesn't work then don't give up. A finished quilt of any kind is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by quilter in the making
Are there some people who just plain shouldn't be quilters even though they really want to be?
You've been reading my thoughts!!! I really enjoy picking out the fabrics for a quilt, getting the pattern picked out, and then get stuck for a while, trying to get up the nerve to try again. I, too, can't seem to cut a straight seam even with the rotary cutter and straight edge.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 AM

Have you tried applique on some of your quilts...that is such a simple process and is makes such a good impression...I usually mix piecing and applique...have done lots of quilts, had good results, however I have never done any sewing over the last 50 plus years that did not take some ripping out and re-do's...patience....enjoy and good luck...don't quit.. especially if your husband is supportive...meme peggy