Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
do you miss film as apposed to digital camera? >

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

do you miss film as apposed to digital camera?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Kas

I miss Kodachrome. I almost cried when I heard it was going away. It is the only film they have discontinued. You can still buy slide film of all types. I learned to develop and print both color and black & white in my dad's darkroom in the '80s. I miss it so much. One day I will have another darkroom. Ansel Adams is my hero. I have a very nice Nikon D90 DSLR that I LOVE! It takes the most amazing shots. In the digital world, I get mad at these people who take a mediocre shot and then Photoshop it into a great shot. Cheating, if you asked me. I am just getting back into it all. Digital is harder to keep archivally though. You have to save it in multiple places and then hope the next upgrade will not crash your hard drive or make it impossible to retrieve images. I have negatives my great uncle developed in the 40's. They are still perfect.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 AM

Me too Kas! It seems like now that people can "fix" their digital pictures they have less respect for the craft of the photographer. When the first point and shoot cameras came out my dad (a professional photographer in his youth) said that the people who used them weren't photographers, they were just taking pictures. But I also have to say that the digital cameras make it possible for me to take hundreds more pictures than I could ever afford with film.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

I'm with you Kas. We have original glass negatives that were taken about the time Oklahoma became a state. Not a motorized anything in sight. Absolutely amazing.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Kas

I do like being able to see the shots and dumping the ones that I don't like! That much is true. But I am still pretty much a purist. If I can't take a good shot the first time, I need more practice!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 PM

My son got to go to Japan this past summer, and the digital camera was great for that. We have literally hundreds of shots, some of them blurred, but memories just the same. I have always been the photographer in the family, so I managed to get him to practice for about an hour and off he went. That would have been very difficult with a real camera.