Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The sewing machine debacle >

The sewing machine debacle

The sewing machine debacle

Old 12-27-2010, 10:03 AM

If they have your machine and refuse to give it back to you, I would think that would be theft and a police matter. I agree about taking them to small claims court. Its a small filing fee. First you need to take the machine you have that wasn't cleaned, take it to a local sewing machine dealer so they can inspect your machine and testify for you in sm clms court that it was not cleaned and the offending shop took you.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Speaking as a lawyer, the sad thing about trying to enlist the help of a lawyer is that it's unlikely that one would be interested in helping you, unless there's some lawyers' association that has a small one-time consultation fee and could write a letter for you. There's no money in your dispute and though there of course would be sympathy for your situation I don't think you'll find much help there.

Likewise, going to small-claims court doesn't guarantee that you'll ever see any compensation or your machine back, either. You can probably get a judgment against the shop owner but then collecting on the judgment is a very time-consuming project and sometimes impossible to do. Small-claims court is a civil court that has limited powers--you'll get a money judgment that is then up to you to collect on. I'd check on the procedure for your small-claims court re how long you have to wait for your case to come to court, how much the court fees are for you, and what the procedure is for your collection efforts. Sad to say, oftentimes it's just not worth it. Likewise the Better Business Bureau won't be able to help you with the specifics of your problem either, in all likelihood.

I'd agree that seeking help from your consumer protection agencies offers the best chance you have of getting any satisfaction from the owner of this business. Without a receipt or even with one, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get them involved either. TV stations and newspapers are also usually reluctant to get involved with disputes like yours due to slander/libel repercussions.

Sad story. To everyone: keep your receipts and go only to service people that you trust from recommendations if possible. And you can check with the Better Business Bureau in the area to see if there have been complaints about this business beforehand, also.

Dana
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oatw13
I am so sorry for your horrible experience. It is a shame that there are people out there like that who will take advantage of people. Unfortunately, it is a civil situation and there isn't really anything the police can do to help.

Do you have a local TV network with a consumer advocate? Our local networks have them and they will help people with problems like this for no cost. They usually get good results because they publish the stories.

I hope you get this resolved quickly.
that sounds like an excellent idea...tv!
It will get you some results and will warn ppl in the area!
The nerve!!! stealing a sewing machine is like horse thieving in the old days...we cannot survive! :wink:
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

You could check with the Better Business Bureau and find out how that shop is rated. I'm so sorry this had to happen to you. At least we didn't have to bake you a cake with a file inside for your big jail break.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

I would tell everyone you have the chance to talk to, at the grocery store, church, meetings, in an elevator, check out lines, library, everywhere, to stay away from that business. Sounds like the pocketbook is the only place these people have any feelings.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:04 PM

you said you have the serial number..maybe go to the police and tell them they have your machine..?

keep us posted, will be praying for you..
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Take a large male friend or relative with you to retrieve your other machine and see what happens. You weren't trespassing in a business place with a legitimate reason to be there and not having been asked to leave before being threatened. As for BBB, please do in the hopes of saving another quilter from this type of experience.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM

I once called my son and pretended he was my husband. He caught-on and talked to the guy. The bill went from "785 plus the average in US is 3 days so I will have to add the extra days which will bring it up over 1000" to that's 125 and they were out the door in 15 seconds.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Wow I live in Corning,NY not too far from you and we have a very dependable repair shop here.
Thanks heavens and good luck.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM

I agree...there is strength in numbers...take your friends and a big burly man to pose as your husband, brother, son..whatever, and get your machine back. If they say they don't have it, take the serial number to the police and tell them they refuse to return it to you. Unless they've sold it, filed the number off, the police should be able to find it...either there or search the owner's home, other places of business. Anywhere he could stash it. They should also be able to check his records for sales of machines to customers unaware the machine was yours. Please don't stop or leave a stone unturned. He is a crook and needs to be caught!