Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 PM

I just spray basted two quilts and used my bernina stitch regulator to free motion quilt them. I used the 505 and it worked good - but after so much manipulation the corners kind of came loose so I now have a habit of checking the corners very well before quilting. However - I was a bit concerned about using it - and I think my next one will be pin basted. I hate the idea of pin holes in my quilt. Is this an unnecessary concern? Or should I thread baste the quilt. It sure was easy to spray baste it. And I don't want to send it to anyone else to do anything to it. Opinions on methods other than spray basting?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:28 PM

When I read how toxic the adhesive spray is I did not use it. It frightened me!

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am always amazed at how/why people choose to use a petroleum based product on a living fiber!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I use to spray baste all my smaller quilts, and my one table has the residue to prove it. I always thought I was being careful and spraying only within the center of it, but somehow that spray would get everywhere on my cutting table.

To this date, I am unable to scrub that bumpy feeling off my table...it's not sticky, just bumpy.
Goo Gone on a small fabric scrap or paper towel ... let it set a minute and wipe away. All sticky stuff gone! Available at craft, hobby, wal mart, auto parts stores, etc.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by sew inspired
(This thread is the most debate I have seen on the board so far..Good for discussion but ladies, lighten up. lol)
You've apparently missed a lot of threads. lol
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM

[quote=roxannebcb] but after so much manipulation the corners kind of came loose so I now have a habit of checking the corners very well before quilting. quote]
I have put a few pins in the edges/corners of a large piece that I am manuplating alot. Just a few on the edges.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
I hate the idea of pin holes in my quilt. Is this an unnecessary concern? Or should I thread baste the quilt.
why wouldn't you want a person to machine baste it for you? It takes less than an hour to load, baste, unload, cost is about the same as spray basting and it stays forever if you if need it too!

However, if you do pin baste, do not worry about the holes... they will close up just like needle holes do when you wash it!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM

I love the spray basting. I put newspaper on the garage floor and do it there....good ventilation...no mess clean-up!! I also always wash the quilt when done. No problems with the needle gumming up either.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I personally don't like the spray baste because it "gums" up my Bernina. Check out your needle when you use it.
Have spray basted over 100 quilts and have never experienced a gummy needle. Maybe you have sprayed too heavily.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM

When I purchased my first can of Sullivan's spray basting my sewing shop lady said don't overspray, it is the natural thing to do because you are afraid it won't hold. She said just a light spray will do just fine. She was right on and no gunk on my needle.

Discussion is good, debate is wonderful; but let's not get too uptight over this - it's bad for our tummies.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM

I find I get the best results when I hand baste. I have used basting sprays and pins as well but always go back to hand basting. I do use spray for my machine embroidery though. I really wish I was happier with the other methods cause the extra hand sewing aggravates my carpel tunnel issues.