Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am new and have a question. >

I am new and have a question.

I am new and have a question.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Look for the highest surface in your house and use it to cut. Trust me, I've experienced that backache before when I was just using our kitchen table to cut, but my wonderful husband built me a high cutting table and now I can spend the whole day cutting without any backache.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:28 PM

I just cut awhile and then take a break. Do the same when I'm sewing or quilting. Gives you a fresh outlook when you return to what you were doing.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by OhSewJoyful
I am brand new to "trying" to quilt and have been cutting fabric on a cutting mat on my kitchen table and I have to take frequent breaks because leaning over so much is a little hard on the back. How do others cut without this problem? Taller cutting area maybe?
I didn't read all the replies, so I don't know if someone
else already suggested this or not, but if you have an
island, it is the perfect height for cutting on your rotary
mat. When I first started out, I didn't have a cutting table
either, and I used my island. It is the same height as your
kitchen counters and they would be the best alternative
if you don't have an island. But, the island lets you get to
all sides, and is just perfect. Hope you find a suitable
solution.
Have a Great Day!
Marcia
Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 PM

i hear so many of you with this complaint, and I feel so bad for you. I am only 4 ft 11 inches tall, so I have the opposite problem, most cutting surfaces are too high for me. Is there ever any pleasing all of us?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by jojosnana
I usually just use the kitchen or dining room table. I also like to reward myself with a cup of coffee and a break so I suppose that is why I don't rush like I used to but I enjoy it more.
I've used the back ache table for some time also. My kids gave me sewing machine cabinet (empty). Perfect size for my cutting mat and 31" high. Seems much better for me. Especiallly for small pieces.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm so lucky to have a 36 inch high, wide counter that takes my 24 X 36 cutting mat. Bless my husband ( who loves to cook and who I encourage to do so often) because he doesn't shriek about wanting the counter space back! I did try one of those Sams
adjustable tables but it felt a little shaky and it wasn't wide enough. Quilting is what keeps me sane & smiling! Mary Ellen
Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 PM

I was just cutting some fussy cuts on the floor and realized the rug was part of the reason my cutting isn't so great. Duh! The mat sinks in. I usually use the dining room table and sit while I'm doing it, but I also bought one of those high folding craft tables from Hancock's that cost about $60 when they are on half off sale, and I'm pretty sure either Hancock or JoAnn's has 'em on sale this week or next. I'm looking for a rolling backed stool like an architect's chair to use with the table so I can sit.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by OhSewJoyful
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definately try some of them. I kinda figured since I am only 5' 1" the kitchen table would work, but found out different.
LOL.....I am 5'11" and have the same problem so I kinda figured you were one of the giants along with me! I end up cutting a little at a time and taking stretch (or laundry or dogwalking...) breaks.

Thanks for the kitchen counter idea. Don't know why I never thought of it myself...
Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by candi
Look for the highest surface in your house and use it to cut. Trust me, I've experienced that backache before when I was just using our kitchen table to cut, but my wonderful husband built me a high cutting table and now I can spend the whole day cutting without any backache.
Can't imagine a day without a backache. I'm envious.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:05 PM

I have the cutting table by Sullivans , got it at Joann's with a 50% off coupon, they have gone up since I bought mine, but I love it. They fold out and down to save on space. Just the right height for me and I'm 5-81/2.