Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Sewing Machines - - >

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Singer Sewing Machines - -

Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kittycats
I just bought a Singer Confidence Quilter a couple of months ago an I love it. Has the bells and whistles that I did not have on my other machines. Just got done piecing a queen size quilt and had no problems. Also was a great price. Had reservations as I had read some negative things, but one lady here on the post said that she had one and had no problems. I am glad that I got this machine.
Its nice to hear that the quality is coming back to Singer, I have looked at the newest "industrial" type of machine which is more of a heavy duty domestic. I think it is a really well built machine and looks like it will last.

Billy
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM

I have a Singer 20u industrial machine I bought in 1984 and I have never had any trouble with it. It's not fancy it does zigzag, but that's about it. I can't even begin to imagine how many "miles" I have on it
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 PM

I have a Singer 20u industrial machine I bought in 1984 and I have never had any trouble with it. It's not fancy it does zigzag, but that's about it. I can't even begin to imagine how many "miles" I have on it
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Last year I bought a small SInger 2000 and I love it. I use it for piecing and for decorative stitching.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I have noticed the difference in the Pfaffs made in Germany and the new ones being sold now; the difference is amazing.
I have the 1222E and 2040. My Pfaff dealer just doesn't understand why I like the older Pfaffs better, he keeps trying to convince me that I need a new one rather than keeping the two I have now.
LOL, I'd wager he understands... he just wants to sell you some pricey new machines! I have the same discussion with the Bernina dealer whenever I take my old 830 in for service or repair.
I get the same spiel from the Bernina dealer when I bring the 1031 and 930 in for servicing. I don't like the new Berninas, too much plastic.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I had good luck with my old singer and olny bought a Pfaff because it could do more.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM

I have a number of 'old' singers and I love them all.. However I had a Touch and Sew (I think).. it had a gold colored front panel that I bought new in about 1969 or so.. It was fine for most things, but I was making men's custom silk and wool suits and that crazy machine would not top stitch down the lapel and front of a jacket. Wouldn't make buttonholes for me.. I wanted to throw it in the street! I traded it in for a Bernina 830 and I have never had another problem with a machine. My old Singers sew perfectly, I don't think I'd bother with newer ones. Just my experience, I'm sure millions have bought Singers and are fine with them.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 PM

i have a singer quantom 1000xl withembroidery moduale bought in 1999 i love it and have had problem only once and was fixed quickly and inexpensively
Old 01-13-2011, 08:45 PM

I bought my first Singer in 1962. I loved it and wanted to get it repaired but the Singer repairman said they no longer made the bobin case which was the problem. I bought another Singer and I liked it but it didn't last nearly aslong. I did use it a lot. Anyway I went back to the Singer shop to trade it in and they no longer handle Singer because they told me another company bought them out (name and all) and it is no longer made like the old ones and they didn't want to handle them.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

I have a Kenmore from Sears. Singer and Kenmore are from the same manufacture.(I was told) I have had mine for 4 years and love it! Even if it is just a simple portable sewing machine. You might want to look into Kenmore, but I would go to Sears.com, The Sears store iin Lafayette,IN. doesn't carry them in the store. Or they might have one on display.