Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Singer Sewing Machines - - >
  • Singer Sewing Machines - -

• Singer Sewing Machines - -

Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 PM

I bought a Singer about 9 months ago. It was awful. The only machines I had ever used were Singers - from the treadles that Mother had to the one I had from the late '70's. That machine still works like a dream but I wanted another one. WELL, I got the new Singer and the foot pedal broke the first time I used it. I tried contacting the company as it was still under warrenty. They wouldn't even respond. 3 emails later I still hadn't heard from them. The 4 email, I told them that if I didn't get some response that I would take further action. They wrote back and said that they wouldn't do anything and it was my problem. So I wrote an email to Martha Stewart since she was always touting the Singer that she used on her show. I CC'ed a copy to Singer as well. I told Martha my story and told her that I was sure that Singer would want to keep her happy because she had a TV show, and mentioned them often, so she had clout to reach thousands of people, where as I was just one little individual with no clout, except the few hundred dollars I would spend. I asked her to think how their attitude also reflected on her show and business, since she supported them with her endorsements. I said that I was a quilter and on several boards, so when I told my story, a lot of people would hear it, as I would be reaching a huge audiance. Martha sent me a nice email stating that she couldn't do anything for me except to encourage Singer to do right by me. Well, Singer emailed me and told me that they would exchange the machine. The machine is not a metal machine, lots of the parts are plastic. I know it won't last the way the one I bought in the 70's has. Any other machine I purchase will be made with as much metal and as quality as I can get. For me the sad thing is that Singer wouldn't even acknowledge me when they thought I was a LONE customer, but when I had backing they did what they should have done to begin with. I consider 9 months ago as being rather recent.
    Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Keep in mind that Martha Stewart is unlikely to say anything against Singer on her show, or anywhere else. She's paid, I would imagine, to endorse their products. I'm glad she helped, but I doubt she would have done more, or spread the word. Call me cynical, but it's a business decision, and all about money.

Originally Posted by BARES
    I bought a Singer about 9 months ago. It was awful. The only machines I had ever used were Singers - from the treadles that Mother had to the one I had from the late '70's. That machine still works like a dream but I wanted another one. WELL, I got the new Singer and the foot pedal broke the first time I used it. I tried contacting the company as it was still under warrenty. They wouldn't even respond. 3 emails later I still hadn't heard from them. The 4 email, I told them that if I didn't get some response that I would take further action. They wrote back and said that they wouldn't do anything and it was my problem. So I wrote an email to Martha Stewart since she was always touting the Singer that she used on her show. I CC'ed a copy to Singer as well. I told Martha my story and told her that I was sure that Singer would want to keep her happy because she had a TV show, and mentioned them often, so she had clout to reach thousands of people, where as I was just one little individual with no clout, except the few hundred dollars I would spend. I asked her to think how their attitude also reflected on her show and business, since she supported them with her endorsements. I said that I was a quilter and on several boards, so when I told my story, a lot of people would hear it, as I would be reaching a huge audiance. Martha sent me a nice email stating that she couldn't do anything for me except to encourage Singer to do right by me. Well, Singer emailed me and told me that they would exchange the machine. The machine is not a metal machine, lots of the parts are plastic. I know it won't last the way the one I bought in the 70's has. Any other machine I purchase will be made with as much metal and as quality as I can get. For me the sad thing is that Singer wouldn't even acknowledge me when they thought I was a LONE customer, but when I had backing they did what they should have done to begin with. I consider 9 months ago as being rather recent.
    Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM

If any of you live in Massachusetts and have bought a product that you have problems with, Massachusetts has very strict consumer laws. The consumer has the choice of refund, repair or replacement. Check with your Attorney General's Office web site.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM

I have a Singer Futura CE200 a Singer
    futura CE 250 and a Singer Xl6000, also a Viking and a Bernina. I love my Singers, I know they get a bad rap sometimes, but I have yet to have a problem that wasn't user caused.
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM

[quote=Mattee]Keep in mind that Martha Stewart is unlikely to say anything against Singer on her show, or anywhere else. She's paid, I would imagine, to endorse their products. I'm glad she helped, but I doubt she would have done more, or spread the word. Call me cynical, but it's a business decision, and all about money.

I didn't expect Martha Stewart to say anything on her show against Singer. Don't you think that would have been extremely foolish of me to think she would?
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 AM

I apologize for misunderstanding. From what you wrote, I thought that was what you meant. Again, I'm glad it all worked out.

[quote=BARES]
    Originally Posted by Mattee
    Keep in mind that Martha Stewart is unlikely to say anything against Singer on her show, or anywhere else. She's paid, I would imagine, to endorse their products. I'm glad she helped, but I doubt she would have done more, or spread the word. Call me cynical, but it's a business decision, and all about money.

I didn't expect Martha Stewart to say anything on her show against Singer. Don't you think that would have been extremely foolish of me to think she would?
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
    Power Poster

I have 4 old Singers, all different models, and a nice Bernina. I love them all!
    There is something very nice about sewing on those old machines and they are very dependable.
    I never had a new Singer so I don't know how they are.
    I want a Treadle someday :D
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM

No problem. It is easy to write something, and because I know what I mean, word it in a way that doesn't come across how I meant it to. I was trying to make a point to Singer by contacting MS. I think they got it. They took the machine back. They weren't willing to do that before.

[quote=Mattee]I apologize for misunderstanding. From what you wrote, I thought that was what you meant. Again, I'm glad it all worked out.

Originally Posted by BARES
    Originally Posted by Mattee

Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 AM

I bought 1 of those cheap Singers from JoAnns 3 years ago to give as a gift to my sewing student. It was total trash. Barely stitched and made birds nests instead of sewing. AFter many trips to local sewing machine repair store to find out what was wrong, we gave it to a local charity and replaced it with a Janome Gem Gold which does a fantastic job. I'll probably never even consider a Singer again, unless it's one of the old ones - and I would definitely consider a Featherweight.
    Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM

My grandfather bought machines for my mom and aunt in the 40's and my mom always swore by Singers. My niece has Mom's and it's still going strong. So when I was going to buy a new one a few years ago naturally I got a Singer. It skipped stitches and basically was just a piece of crap. I gave it away on Freecycle with full disclosure, wouldn't have been able to sleep at night if I had sold it.