• Am I doing this right?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
    Cyn

It looks perfect to me :)
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM

LOOKS PERFECT TO ME
    Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM

You're doing great! Just 2 pieces of advice:

1. Check each block (often) during construction to make sure that your points match, as in equal distance from the edge of the block ... 1/4" seam allowance is ideal, of course. A key thing for me is that each point matches each other, so that when I sew the blocks together, I'm not chopping off any points or leaving gaps between points & seam. In your picture, it looks like the left fabric star point might not have enough seam allowance (white fabric). That would be a really easy fix, though.

2. Don't sew when you are tired. Yesterday I was "on a roll", but I got tired. I had sewed with no mistakes for several hours, but I got over tired and did not stop when I should have; I ended up having to un-sew several seams.

One more thing I'd like to say. I agree with everyone that you should not be so hard on yourself. HOWEVER, if yours is a personality that cannot live with "just good enough" and imperfections, it's part of who you are. You are not going to develop a different personality or a personality trait and should therefore strive to develop your quilting skills to a point that satisfies you, as your husband suggests.
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM

It looks good, your squares and triangles match nicely. The only point I would worry about and it may just be the way the picture shows it, but you want to make sure you have a 1/4" of fabric beyond your outside points. I struggle with this also!
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Oh, pretty fabrics. Should make a cute baby quilt! DON'T unsew any seams unless really bad. Non-quilters don't see the detail that you do. Your piecing looks perfect. Relax and enjoy the process :thumbup:
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Do you do everything in life perfect? If not, why start now with quilting? Not even store bought pieced quilts are perfect. Just do your best and be happy. Honestly you'll get better the more you sew.
    Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Your points match perfectly. Also I see colors that go together for a nice top. The other important thing I see is that 1/4 inch allowance at the edge of your block. Great start.You have learned a lot more than you thought. On here you can see a lot of things that will inspire you. All questions asked.Welcome from Ok. Marvel
    Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM

The star looks great and I love your fabric choices!
    Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Looks very good to me. The quilt police will not be knocking at your door!
    Old 02-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Lol...yep, the 1/4" is almost nonexistant on some of the points. My daughter came up with a great idea. She says, why don't you finish and then embroider little catterpillar's on the points or the areas where you see a possible mistake. So, I am going to make the catterpillars crawling in various directions if the points turn out looking kind of square. Maybe a small butterfly toward the center so that it matches with the buttefly / caterpillar fabric. I would do them in a solid color of course since the piece already has a lot of patterns and colors in it.

Also, the store on Denver Avenue in Loveland is where I am taking my classes. They are really nice. I had my first class and I did my home work. I compared the class pieces with what I made for the baby quilt and I am really pleased with how they both are turning out. Now I am struggling with wanting to run off in different directions with more ideas now that I have a bit of assurance that I am on the right track.

Right now I am off to get my walking foot as I had to order it and it has come in. I have gone from anxious to excited. Thank you all again sooo much. ~~Happy Quilting~~

~ Carol ~