Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • JC Penney sold fabric? >
  • JC Penney sold fabric?

• JC Penney sold fabric?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
    Many of the department stores had a fabric section because home sewing was very popular back in that day. Do not remember when those fabric departments were banished.

Does anybody remember the measuring apparatus that was around six inches off of the table? The fabric was pulled through a slit and a round dial gauge with hands like a clock {?]or scale showed the yardage. Then the fabric clerk would push a lever which made a rip in the cloth. The fabric was then torn right in front of you and not cut with a scissors. In the rare instance that the print was all off grain you knew it right away. Anyway that was then and this is now, guess I am dating myself and a popsicle was a nickel. :lol: :roll:
    Yes, I do remember the way yardage was measured at Penney's, Sears, "Monkey Wards", Anthony's, etc - drawn through the gauge as you described.
    I also remember the way Penney's packages were wrapped back then - piece of heavy paper torn off a roll, items folded in the paper, then sturdy string was drawn up from a cone-shaped spindle under the cabinet through a hole in the counter and the purchases tied up with string. Those were the days when we took a bus to town on a rare occasion to shop as most families I knew had only 1 car - Dad drove it to work.
    Many of the department stores had a restaurant, appliances, kitchen & bath items, furniture, etc in addition to everyday & work clothes as someone else mentioned.
    I was fascinated with fabric & paper & colors back then (still am) & as a child I loved to watch the fancy ways gifts were wrapped for free by the Penney's clerks at Christmas time - pleats in the tissue paper, pretty hand-made bows & so on.
    Thanks for the memory lane trip!
    Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 AM

IN THE 70'S A TRIP TO NEW YORK CITY MEANT FABRIC SHOPPING AT MACY'S AND GIMBEL'S IN HERALD SQUARE. RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER WAS WOOLWORTH'S WITH FABRIC AS LOW AS 50 CENTS A YARD. I MADE MY SISTER'S PROM DRESS FROM A VOGUE PATTERN AND LESS THEN $5.00 WORTH OF FABRIC.
    Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 AM

I too, remember, material being sold at Penney's Sears, MW. almost every department store sold material. I also remember my mom and neighbors, taking old clothes apart to make things for the kids. We all collected buttons. On rainy days we would amuse ourselves by stringing like buttons together with strings from the meat market.
    How things have changed...
    Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 AM

OH, yes. They did sell fabric of all kinds, but I don't remember when they stopped. Many of the stores did, at one time. Marge
    Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Remember when there were Singer stores and they sold fabric? When I first got married, you could go to the mall (only they were called shopping centers in those days, 1967) and you could purchase fabric at Kressege's (?), Grants, Woolworth's, Singer's, and at at least two department stores. Remember Piece Goods? Probably one of the first all fabric/craft stores. It sure was a lot easier and cheaper to build a stash in those days (but it was just as addictive).
    Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 AM

I worked for JC Penny in 1973 my job was inventory and I counted yards of material. on bolts that was cut from i counted folds to get a good count. loved my job!
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dandish
    I never knew Penney's had sold fabric - does anybody know when they stopped?
    I really cannot remember when they stopped selling fabric, but I remember Penney's and many more local chains sold fabric at one time. I don't have any of it as evidence, but my memory of decent fabric departments is intact. I remember being surprised when I could no longer buy fabric at Penney's or Sears or (in my home town) Ball Stores, etc.
    Of course, this was long before Walmart etc.
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 AM

As late as the early 80's (or maybe even later?) you could buy fabric in 3 yard packs to match your new bedroom...bedspread, curtains, and the like. This was a catalo-only item, I think.
    Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
    Remember when there were Singer stores and they sold fabric? When I first got married, you could go to the mall (only they were called shopping centers in those days, 1967) and you could purchase fabric at Kressege's (?), Grants, Woolworth's, Singer's, and at at least two department stores. Remember Piece Goods? Probably one of the first all fabric/craft stores. It sure was a lot easier and cheaper to build a stash in those days (but it was just as addictive).
    Even though the quality wasn't LQS, I loved Piece Goods! I was a new quilter on a tight budget and PG was "my place"!!!! I still have a quilt top waiting for a border made with fabrics from Piece Goods....I got in over my head with the piecing and by the time I finally finished, PG was closed so I couldn't match any fabrics for the border :(
    Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 AM

I can't remember when they stopped selling fabrics either but I do remember Kreesgee's, Kmart, Woolworth, and Penny's selling fabric.