Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
elm

Hurray for you!!!
Originally Posted by Xylie55
Originally Posted by purplemem
I walked to the mailbox! I walked to the mailbox! Yippee for Me!

for those not "in the know" my mailbox is down a very steep incline and about 1/10 of a mile from my house. It is a very very major walk for me. and I did it today!
That is wonderful MJ.I need to do more,but it's so humid and so hot,I'll too be glad when october comes so it cools off.I just for some reason this yr am a baby about the heat.Generally it don't bother me.And generally I take care of business,but again,this summer,I'm behind and lacking in both remembering and procrastinating things,where I never did before.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM

I am behind on this month's quarter, which is funny because I have plenty of floral fabric. Maybe I don't want to part with a floral. I'll find something soon now that my computer's back so I can get an address. My virus scan and Malware scan each found one item and dealt with it. Just one thing to fix and I'll be totally back.

I owe someone from the board 1/2 yard as a trade for some Marine Corps fabric. What do you send when the recipient says, "Anything, I like everything?" Duh, go to her page and see if she's posted any quilts. That'll give me an idea.

Food good today, but I've been sitting too much with the computer back. I'm getting up to cook in the morning. My son is swinging by Northern Michigan on his way to New Jersey from Cincinnati, Ohio to mow my lawn. That's quite a detour. The least I can do is feed him lunch.

My legs aren't particularly swollen again tonight, but I had a large pain in a nerve in my calf earlier. Not surprising with neuropathy that it would flare. I will be very careful watching for any more discoloration or swelling now. I don't need an infection in my veins. My doctor is very nice about trusting my judgment. I am to call and ask for him directly and he'll schedule the app't if the staff gives me a hard time when I need to get in. There are things that can't wait three weeks. He knows it, I know it, but the staff is so protective.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Good night, all. Judy

MJ, Way to go! It all adds up.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Well,good job to all,your doing great.Hubby and I have had many talks on dying.But both know,we live each day to the fullest as if it were our last.We stop and smell the roses,look at the wild life we enjoy here.And know we are going to be here a long time yet.But if it comes,like mj,we're ready and have no regrets.It's a door we all have to go through.No getting around it.I don't sweat the small things,or the big things even any more.Life is too short to get in a dither about it.Take life as it comes and do the best that you can.It's all any of us can do.Yes,healthy people drop dead.When our number is up,it's up.Remember the good times and how blessed we were to have them that length of time.We are all living on borrowed time from the lord.She must have been a really special person for him to have called her home.I don't go a day I don't thank him for what he's done for me.We are close,him and I.And I can go to him with anything,and we will have a discussion about it.Yes,he's not the big man upstairs,but a real intity with fingers,toes,nose,mouth,and ears,and a body.He has feelings,thoughts,ideas,plans,and a since of humor.He smells,see's what's going on,and try's to help us,if we but let him in.He loves everybody,the sinners,as well as murderers,and even give them a chance at redemption.I just couldn't make it thru a day with out him.I hope to lose the rest of my weight in the next few months.I have bought the fat quarters I am so behind on.Sorry about that,I just can't remember some things when I go to town and hubby has been w/me lately,driving me crazy.He generally don't go.But is a fretter.What are you doing,why are you buying that?I'm hot,I'm going to sit in the car.So have to keep it running cool,and dash literally thru the stores.Where I generally take my sweet time.Guess he's bored.Plus he's so slow,he shuffles along .I tried to get him on a scooter at the store,so he could keep up,but no,he won't ride those.Yet at home,he leaves me and pepper,our dog in the dust some times and clips right along.Sometimes he drives me crazy,but I still love him to death,he's just going to have to get with it if he's going to go to town with me.Sorry,I'm just venting.Ok,I feel better.Now I'll go and see what he's doing............anyway,I'll get my fat quarters off.
Amen to that. Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Hi everyone. It's been a couple of days since I checked in and I just finished reading all the new posts. Welcome to all the newbies. This is my first month in the challenge and it has been great talking to everyone here. They are all very supportive and helpful if you have a question.

We've been getting rain here almost every morning (very early) but then it gets really hot again. I haven't been doing much outside exercise but am watching my calories very carefully. My weight loss is slowing some but it's still coming off. This first month has been great so far. When it's cooler outside I can start walking again and that will help a lot. I'm actually looking forward to it! Never thought I'd say that.

Good night and happy rest of the week to everyone.

Rita
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I walked to the mailbox! I walked to the mailbox! Yippee for Me!

for those not "in the know" my mailbox is down a very steep incline and about 1/10 of a mile from my house. It is a very very major walk for me. and I did it today!
Good for you, keep it up a little each day makes such a difference.
Gail
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Wow we have been busy on the board. I have been off for about a week. First of all due to a migraine last weekend lasting 4 days, then work. Sat down earlier this evening to catch up and dad called said come now mom fell.

So spent the evening in the ER with mom after her fall. She broke the head of the radial bone in her arm.

I am now having problems since the migraine with my blood sugars being in control and wanting to eat everything in sight. I have to get this in control and loss about 70 lbs. I have been losing and regaining it right back all month.

I need to pick up the exercise and see what happens then.

Have a good night, gonna try to get some sleep before mom calls me again.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 AM

Good morning to everyone.

It's Friday....and another scorcher of a day ahead of us. It is just 5am and already 80.

I usually take one day out of the week that I don't "diet"and that day is Fridays. I pretty much eat what I want on that day and, you know what?....I don't crave the junk food like I used to. I believe it is beause I try to eat healthy on the other days and don't deprive myself of any foods. I just eat in "moderation" and am very careul with my portion control. I still weigh, measure, and log in ALL my foods.

I have noticed there has been some new ones inquiring about this challenge....this is my first month in doing this challenge and it has been great. Everyone on here is very supportive and give lots of encouragement. I am terrible with names, so I am not going to even try to mention any names on here...but to all of you...thank you. Keep up with the words of encouragement...we all need it.

Remember, we are individuals, don't worry about the other person. Our bodies all react different to some of the same things. Just do YOUR best.

Ya'll have a wonderfully, blessed day
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 AM

Morning everyone!

MJ congratulations. That's a long walk for you. Keep it up one step at a time.

Xylie, I couldn't have said it better myself. The Lord and I are very close. I rely on Him for everything. Somtimes I get panicky or anxious and forget He is right there for me. But then He softly reminds me He is right beside me.

Yesterday in PT I found out that the group of nerves running from the right side of my neck down my right arm are screwed up so I'm now going to be in PT for a few weeks. I don't mind though because my PT lady is a quilter and a long arm quilter. Such fun PT and exchanging quilting notes! Today I'm going to start to swim again. If my blood sugar bottoms out and I pass out I figure I'll just be a practice lesson for the life guard! I weighed in this morning and gained 1/2 lb. I don't worry much about that, it will go away once I start swimming and water aerobics and walking.

Have a good day everyone & God Bless!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM

good morning all!

I ended up walking 1/2 mile yesterday and my body feels it today!

I am proud of myself and will try to walk again today. It is hot and humid, but not too bad right now.

I get the "willies" sometimes talking about death, too. DH and I have a firesafe we have all our papers in. I worry about my quilty things, he won't remember where/who they go to.

BTW, I haven't mailed FQ's since Nanny Sandy won. I have them, just never get to the post office. I don't drive and the car is only here MTW, on Wed is doc apptmts out of town...great excuses, but somebody's quilt is waiting...
Bad Purple! Bad!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM

MJ, I'm happy for you getting out to walk. Don't increase it too quickly in your humid weather. My Yahoo weather says it's 51% here, but my body says it's higher. I don't have the air on, plus I had the oven on earlier. I made cherry/apple crisp with gluten free topping. My son liked it so much that I sent the leftovers with him which was probably a good idea. He's running a little thin and I'm not.

My get-up-and-go got up and went. I rushed around getting lunch and then consoling my granddaughter so that now I don't want to start laundry and watering flowers. MY GD's cat died while she was here a week ago. As she she wasn't going home, but camping with her other GM, she wasn't told. The job fell to my son, who is not her birth father, but a much kinder person. I let her pick her favorite rock from my rock garden and paint Jasmine's name on it. Her mother will incorporate it into the flagstone gravesite when she mortars it. Then we printed some pictures from her camera so she can make a scrapbook. It won't bring back the cat back, but it may soften the blow a bit. It fell to me to help her see that the cat couldn't live in intense pain and it did have nine good years. It doesn't help that the child suffers from anxiety and depression, plus she is a 13 year old female and anyone who's raised even a normal one knows what that means. Now she''s off to her birth father's house for a weekend on the water so she won't be home until Sunday night. I don't know if that's good or bad.

This isn't getting anything done. I am determined to finish the Carpenter Star quilt before August 31 and the braided border will take some time. Off to water and deadhead flowers, walk the dogs, do laundry and quilt. How many hours in a day? I'll check in later.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Judy