Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Yeah for you walking to the mail box! :thumbup: That's wonderful. Small steps will lead to big rewards. Keep at it!

A lady who I've worked with died last night. She was on vacation and had a siezure over the weekend. They think it was a strange aneurysim because she had pressure and swelling in her brain. She was only 45 yrs old, appeared healthy, fit, excersiced regularly. She left a charming husband and 2 wonderful children.

I came home and had the "what do you want done if you die" discussion with my hubby, "where are the important papers, passwords, what do I need to do?"

We have this discussion when ever someone our age dies....and now I want to climb into a vat of ice cream and not come up until I'm so full it hurts because then it distracts me from the real emotional problems I'm facing. I start thinking about what would happen when my dh dies, my parents, my sister...

But I know that eating won't help anything. and I just need to accept that death is a part of life and make sure that those around me know that I love them, and make a difference somehow.
    Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I walked to the mailbox! I walked to the mailbox! Yippee for Me!

for those not "in the know" my mailbox is down a very steep incline and about 1/10 of a mile from my house. It is a very very major walk for me. and I did it today!
    YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Here's my stash from June, I lost 10 pounds, and then stalled since-fighting the same 2-3 pound loss/gain.
    19 wonderful ladies sent me great fabrics-since I make QOV's many sent patriotic fabrics. Which I love.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-243654.jpe  
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Charity-Crafter~I see the one I sent! I see a few others that will go well with it to make a nice patriotic quilt. You only got 19? Is that even half of what it should have been? Thanks for posting the pic and thanks to you others that posted yours too.
    Today I spent 6 hours sewing with a friend at her house. We went on a shop hop last fall and got fabric and patterns at each shop - 9 in total - to make a quilt. I had 3 of my blocks already made. I made 3 more today. Only 3 to go now! Our goal is to have the top finished before we go on the shop hop again in 6 weeks. She served a very yummy lunch which was actually pretty healthy. Made for a really nice day!
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM

How often do any of one take your measurements? I haven't in a long time.
    Charity-Crafter so sorry to hear about your co-worker. I know my DH and I need to have that talk too. He really doesn't like to talk about things like that.
    Nancie, I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip. Kiss Olivia for me.
    Welcome to all newbies. This is a great group of ladies. We can talk about almost anything here.
    Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM

I figured it's the summer, people get busy with the kids, vacations and health issues. I'm just happy to have gotten so many. Three wonderfully kind ladies even sent yards of fabric since I do mainly charity quilts.

I try to do measurements monthly. I keep a notebook and the tape measure just for that in the bathroom. I measure everything I can wrap the tape measure around. You'll be surprised where you'll lose inches. Even if the scale doesn't show a loss. If you are working out.
    Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    Yeah for you walking to the mail box! :thumbup: That's wonderful. Small steps will lead to big rewards. Keep at it!

A lady who I've worked with died last night. She was on vacation and had a siezure over the weekend. They think it was a strange aneurysim because she had pressure and swelling in her brain. She was only 45 yrs old, appeared healthy, fit, excersiced regularly. She left a charming husband and 2 wonderful children.

I came home and had the "what do you want done if you die" discussion with my hubby, "where are the important papers, passwords, what do I need to do?"

We have this discussion when ever someone our age dies....and now I want to climb into a vat of ice cream and not come up until I'm so full it hurts because then it distracts me from the real emotional problems I'm facing. I start thinking about what would happen when my dh dies, my parents, my sister...

But I know that eating won't help anything. and I just need to accept that death is a part of life and make sure that those around me know that I love them, and make a difference somehow.
    You know I am really glad that this topic has come up. I live next to a HUGE cemetary. Every time we drive by there and I see the tent thing up at a site where there will be a funeral and burial I take a deep breath and get very anxious and upset. Now if this happened once in a while it would be okay I think but it happens all the time. I think it is part of my mental illness though. Oh well.

I need to write everything down I guess so if something happened to me they would know about everything. I don't know though.

I told Cathie if we get married then we will use our family attorney and draw up all the necessary papers to protect each other in case one of us passes. We will see I guess.

I have to say that no one outside of my family knows about my problem with seeing death. Funny but not in a haha way that my sister is a Medical Examiner in Dallas. Oh well. Weird, huh?

Missy
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
    elm

Really wanted to stay in and read, but did the right thing for my health and went to the pool. I did laps for an hour, but I'm not a speed swimmer.
    When I retired, I joined a group that met once a month and discussed end of life issues including feelings about the whole process. We met regularly for a year and then tapered off to not meeting at all. I found it really helpful in exploring my own feelings and making decisions about what I wanted to happen for me. In the process I was able to get rid of some fears. Hope you are all are able to have the talks you need to have and find support to help you through the process.
    Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    I walked to the mailbox! I walked to the mailbox! Yippee for Me!

for those not "in the know" my mailbox is down a very steep incline and about 1/10 of a mile from my house. It is a very very major walk for me. and I did it today!
    That is wonderful MJ.I need to do more,but it's so humid and so hot,I'll too be glad when october comes so it cools off.I just for some reason this yr am a baby about the heat.Generally it don't bother me.And generally I take care of business,but again,this summer,I'm behind and lacking in both remembering and procrastinating things,where I never did before.
    Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Well,good job to all,your doing great.Hubby and I have had many talks on dying.But both know,we live each day to the fullest as if it were our last.We stop and smell the roses,look at the wild life we enjoy here.And know we are going to be here a long time yet.But if it comes,like mj,we're ready and have no regrets.It's a door we all have to go through.No getting around it.I don't sweat the small things,or the big things even any more.Life is too short to get in a dither about it.Take life as it comes and do the best that you can.It's all any of us can do.Yes,healthy people drop dead.When our number is up,it's up.Remember the good times and how blessed we were to have them that length of time.We are all living on borrowed time from the lord.She must have been a really special person for him to have called her home.I don't go a day I don't thank him for what he's done for me.We are close,him and I.And I can go to him with anything,and we will have a discussion about it.Yes,he's not the big man upstairs,but a real intity with fingers,toes,nose,mouth,and ears,and a body.He has feelings,thoughts,ideas,plans,and a since of humor.He smells,see's what's going on,and try's to help us,if we but let him in.He loves everybody,the sinners,as well as murderers,and even give them a chance at redemption.I just couldn't make it thru a day with out him.I hope to lose the rest of my weight in the next few months.I have bought the fat quarters I am so behind on.Sorry about that,I just can't remember some things when I go to town and hubby has been w/me lately,driving me crazy.He generally don't go.But is a fretter.What are you doing,why are you buying that?I'm hot,I'm going to sit in the car.So have to keep it running cool,and dash literally thru the stores.Where I generally take my sweet time.Guess he's bored.Plus he's so slow,he shuffles along .I tried to get him on a scooter at the store,so he could keep up,but no,he won't ride those.Yet at home,he leaves me and pepper,our dog in the dust some times and clips right along.Sometimes he drives me crazy,but I still love him to death,he's just going to have to get with it if he's going to go to town with me.Sorry,I'm just venting.Ok,I feel better.Now I'll go and see what he's doing............anyway,I'll get my fat quarters off.