Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0  Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137 >
  • Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

• Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM

I got a squishy from Kbunn today...YAY!!!

I have been making blocks today and have 3 done and waiting right now for the fabric to dry so that I can get started on my 4th one.

Mish
    Old 04-24-2010, 12:24 PM

I got a squishy from Sewcornie today!! Only 8 left to come in!
    Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM

I got a F8 AND a completed block from sewcornie today!!

WAHOO!!!! (I've finished 3 blocks so far -- but then I took a 5-hour suprise trip to pick up my NEW brother pe-780 machine. Wouldn't ya know it it started raining (hard!) about 20 minutes from home. I have a brand new toy trapped in the car!!

That's okay - because I can focus on the blocks. I want to get at least four more done this weekend (if not all 9 that I currently have). I need to work on some other projects too - but I am FOCUSED on the boomerangs -- It's so much fun to play with all the different fabrics.

I'll post pictures of today's finished blocks on my blog before I go to bed tonight.

Here's my awesome block from sewcornie:

"Flutter Wheel"
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]898[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-898.jpe  
    Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM

I received an F8 from Sewconnie ... oh the squishes are having a good ol' time here ... listening to music ... next is TV :D

PS I so love the blocks .... especially the "Flutter Wheel" AWESOME ... was that a complicated block???
    Old 04-24-2010, 06:12 PM

Robin, the Flutterwheel pattern is based on a 9-patch. Very simple. You would cut 4 squares 4-1/2" of one fabric. Then for the pinwheel portions, you will have five pinwheel blocks that are made up of half-square triangles.

It may help to think of the pinwheel blocks as 4-patches, each patch made up of half-square triangles. I believe each of these would be cut from 2 pieces of fabric, each 2-7/8" square. The easiest thing to do with them next is to mark one diagonal on one of the squares and stitch the 2 squares together sewing 1/4" away from the mark ON EACH SIDE OF THE MARK. Then cut each square on the marked line and you have two squares made up of half square triangles. Press. You would need to do this step two times for each pinwheel block.

Before sewing the pinwheel blocks together, I would recommend that you square up each HST square so it measures 2-1/2" square. Then sew four of them together to make the pinwheels.

Now lay out your 9-patch, alternating the pieced blocks and the single fabric blocks like in the picture. It's really not too complicated, and you can do this.

Squishie update: today my mailbox did not disappoint, as I got a squishie from IZZY! I'm really excited to work with this lovely fabric, but all in good time. This week is devoted to prom dresses.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. A mother's work never seems to be done!

Odessa
    Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by sandiannie
    another squishy envelope day at the post office :D
    F8's from KBunn, tink, and sewcornie
    plus Blocks from Sewcornie and mistiliz
    You have our names swapped there. I made the shoo-fly block. Glad to see it landed safely in your mailbox.

:-D
    Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks, Robin, for the compliment on the Flutter Wheel block, and Odessa, for your explanation too.

Robin, nearly all of the blocks I've made are from a book called Quilter's Mix and Match Blocks published by Leisure Arts. It has 50 different 12" blocks with easy to follow cutting and piecing instructions and clear illustrations to go with. The blocks range from easy (like the Shoo-Fly I made for sandiannie, which she posted above) to more challenging (the one I made for mistiliz had 52 pieces - the most challenging block I've ever done). I've found it to be a great book to grow with. You might want to check it out. It is priced at $24.95 but I got it at Joanne's last year with a 40% off coupon. It's been worth every penny.

Another cool thing I found just today is called "Block Tool". (I also got it at Joanne's with a coupon.) It's a fan-deck of 160+ quilt blocks. For each block, it gives cutting dimensions for 5 different sizes! For example, on the Bear's Paw page, you get dimensions for making 4", 6", 8", 10", and 12" blocks. I'm really excited about this. Recently for a project, I was doing the math to change a 9" block into an 8" block. Just about drove me crazy. This tool doesn't give clear piecing directions, only one diagram per block, but I've been quilting for a while and think I can figure each one out. It has blocks I haven't seen before and I can't wait to try some out! :-D :-D

Good luck with your classes Robin . . . most of all, HAVE FUN!!
    Old 04-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Well now I need a good talking to...PLEASE!! I made a New Years Res to not buy anymore fabric til I used up a good bit of my stash welllllll I know I sent out 35 f8th's so lets see that should be about 4 yds I think.... plus what I'm using in each of the 35 blocks maybe another 3 so thats seven yards....nope I think I've bought close to another 20 yds this month!! no kidding.. I was doing so well til I went into
    Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago and that got it started and then there was the black that I had to buy at Joann's for the background of one of these charity quilts (backgrounds and backings I made and exception for in my resolution) and then tonight I went in there for just 2 1/4 yrd pieces to go with some of these fabrics I received and well another 50.00 later.... Help, Help I'm going to be in real trouble when that paycheck stops coming for the summer.
    Muriel
    Old 04-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Sew Cornie, thanks for the info on the Block tool, I had heard about that on another thread but forgot which one, I think I could definately use one of those. Oh no, that means another trip to Joann's would some one please move that store along way away at least for awhile....lol
    Also today I finally put the last binding stitches in my co-workers quilt I didn't think it was ever going to get done. I also finished the top for one of the charity quilts I've been trying to get done.
    I even sat down and chose out several of the fabrics to go with the boomerang blocks, it will be at least another week before I start making them but I'll have fabrics ready to cut.
    I've been thinking if I have enough fabric left from the f8th's when I'm done making the blocks I might try to make a 4 inch miniature of each block, or maybe a small star, I think this would make a great first small quilt or maybe if I make the stars use them in the sashings or borders when I put my quilt together What do the rest of you think of this idea?
    Muriel
    Old 04-25-2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
    Thanks, Robin, for the compliment on the Flutter Wheel block, and Odessa, for your explanation too.

Robin, nearly all of the blocks I've made are from a book called Quilter's Mix and Match Blocks published by Leisure Arts. It has 50 different 12" blocks with easy to follow cutting and piecing instructions and clear illustrations to go with. The blocks range from easy (like the Shoo-Fly I made for sandiannie, which she posted above) to more challenging (the one I made for mistiliz had 52 pieces - the most challenging block I've ever done). I've found it to be a great book to grow with. You might want to check it out. It is priced at $24.95 but I got it at Joanne's last year with a 40% off coupon. It's been worth every penny.

Another cool thing I found just today is called "Block Tool". (I also got it at Joanne's with a coupon.) It's a fan-deck of 160+ quilt blocks. For each block, it gives cutting dimensions for 5 different sizes! For example, on the Bear's Paw page, you get dimensions for making 4", 6", 8", 10", and 12" blocks. I'm really excited about this. Recently for a project, I was doing the math to change a 9" block into an 8" block. Just about drove me crazy. This tool doesn't give clear piecing directions, only one diagram per block, but I've been quilting for a while and think I can figure each one out. It has blocks I haven't seen before and I can't wait to try some out! :-D :-D

Good luck with your classes Robin . . . most of all, HAVE FUN!!
    Thanks for the info about the books ... I've got a 40 % coupon for Jo-Ann's right beside me... and I know I can find one online ... now if I can find those books at my local Jo-Ann's I'll be in business :D