Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM >

Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM

Weight loss challenge with a prize..........Dec sign up will close Dec 2 8AM

Old 12-18-2010, 12:50 PM

Here is more progress on our floors:

See how close he got the oak to the fireplace...soo cool looking!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144877[/ATTACH]

Here is more of the living area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144878[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144872.jpe   attachment-144873.jpe  
Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM

well I didnt get finished, I bought the wrong binding and what I did have that was right the bobbin clumped up all the way around and I didnt see it till I had finished, no time to go get more or to fix it. NOT A GOOD DAY!!

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I know the feeling I have 3 to get done by 4 this afternoon lol
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Oh Missy!! That is so wrong in more ways then I can count. :-0!!!

Sorry I haven't been on but I have got projects to get done before Monday and then more to do before Sat. I don't know how I got so far behind. I don't think I am gonna get them all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

well I didnt get finished, I bought the wrong binding and what I did have that was right the bobbin clumped up all the way around and I didnt see it till I had finished, no time to go get more or to fix it. NOT A GOOD DAY!!

I know the feeling I have 3 to get done by 4 this afternoon lol
Originally Posted by cjomomma
Oh Missy!! That is so wrong in more ways then I can count. :-0!!!

Sorry I haven't been on but I have got projects to get done before Monday and then more to do before Sat. I don't know how I got so far behind. I don't think I am gonna get them all done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh I am so sorry you are struggling right now. I know that feeling when you are up against a clock and things just start going wrong. BIG HUGS!!!

Missy
Old 12-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
remclave.............recipe for homemade cream cheese.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully this doesn't violate any kinds of TOS or anything. I did post the links as well as copied the recipes here.

It's done in two stages. First stage is to make the mesophilic culture that is used to "ripen" the cream.

LINK: Mesophilic Culture recipe

Ingredients:

.5 liter/2 cups FRESH store-bought cultured buttermilk

Directions:

1. Set the Buttermilk in it's container on kitchen counter with lid cracked to relieve pressure and allow to reach 21 C/70 F room temperature to ripen and increase the bacteria population density. After 6-8 hours the buttermilk should be much thicker like fresh yogurt and sourer than at start. If not thick enough, let sit for a few more hours.
2. Use as per cheese making recipes and pour remainder into a full sized very clean ice cube tray and put into your freezer.
3. Once frozen, remove the cubes and put into a clean sealed labeled container or plastic freezer bag to reduce contamination and freezer burn.
4. The resulting ice cubes are each ~30 ml/1 ounce of mesophilic starter. Add cubes (thawed) to your recipe as required.

Tricks & Traps
Tricks

* If using in first cheese making, ripen culture overnight so that can make first cheese next day.
* To make more starter simply thaw one cube and add to 0.5 liter/2 cups of fresh milk, mix thoroughly, and stand at room temperature for 16-24 hours or until the consistency of fresh yogurt.

Traps

* Not allowing culture to ripen long enough resulting in weak culture used in cheese making.
* Not labeling freezer container/bag and 2-3 months later getting it confused with frozen Thermophilic or Yogurt Culture cubes.
* Not using clean ice cube trays, resulting in contamination of your culture.

The second stage is the cream cheese making itself:

LINK: Cream Cheese Recipe

General

Cream Cheese is a very popular farmhouse classic and is used in many cooking recipes and desserts as well as on toast, bread, and bagels. In the USA, it is the third most popular cheese.
Ingredients - Metric

Makes ~0.8 kg of Cream Cheese:

* 2 liters fresh cow's cream.
* 125 ml of homemade or your choice of manufactured Mesophilic Starter Culture, amount as per directions.
* Rennet, your choice of type, amount as per your experience or package directions, diluted in ~125 ml cool water.
* Optional: Flavourings.

Ingredients - American

Makes ~1.7 pounds of Cream Cheese:

* 2 US quarts fresh cow's cream.
* 4 ounces of homemade or your choice of manufactured Mesophilic Starter Culture, amount as per directions.
* Rennet, your choice of type, amount as per your experience or package directions, diluted in ~1/2 cup cool water.
* Optional: Flavorings.

Directions

1. Pour cream into food grade container.
2. Add mesophilic starter culture and thoroughly mix in.
3. Add diluted rennet and thoroughly mix in.
4. Cover and set aside to ripen for 12-15 hours at room temp (~21°C/70°F).
5. Ladle the curds into a colander lined with a fine cheese cloth, set aside for 5 minutes for excess whey to drain.
6. Tie the four corners of the cheesecloth together and hang above container for 6-8 hours to further ripen and drain whey.
7. Discard drained whey and place the curds into a small bowl and mix to make homogeneous.
8. Add salt, herbs, etc. to taste.
9. Place the cream cheese into a sealable food grade container in fridge where it will firm up a little as gets cold.
10. Use within 2 weeks.

Options

* Popular seasonings-flavourings added after Cream Cheese is made are stirring in:
o Salt
o Strawberry, Blueberry, Cranberry, Peaches
o Garlic and Herbs (Boursin Brand style)
o Honey and Chopped Walnuts
o Sundried Tomato
o Salmon/Lox
o Bacon Scallion
o Olive Pimiento
o Onion and Chives
o Garden Veggie (using dry vegetable soup mix)
o Jalapeņo
o Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Spice
o Chocolate

Tricks & Traps

* To get drier cheese, while hanging, every ~2 hours, scrape de-whey'd drier cheese (filter cake) off of walls to allow moister curd's whey better exit route to the cloth.
* Start making cheese in evening so that ripens in stockpot overnight, can hang next morning, turn or work cheese during daytime, and making will be done in afternoon. This way you will have spare extra time in evening in case need to hang longer to get drier.
* Times above are rough and dependant on ingredients and your room temperature, cooler requires longer time, warmer less.
* When finished, little whey appearing around cheese before fully consumed is normal in non-manufactured store bought Cream Cheese.
* If using store bought cream or "Half & Half" (half cream & half milk) in North America, it is often Ultra-Pasteurized to give it a very long shelf life. Ultra Pasteurization kills most of the bad and good bacteria, this also results in a poor curd forming.
* Do not try to rush this natural process, it needs the time to develop the flavour.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Wow. That is very cool information!! Thank you for posting it!

Missy
Old 12-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Wow. That is very cool information!! Thank you for posting it!

Missy
:D If you're talking about the cream cheese recipe, you're very welcome!

Otherwise, uh, oops... I don't know who that was for... :? :lol:
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I just had to post this. This child cracks me up.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145004.jpe  
Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 PM

I just have to say you guys are the best! When I feel lousy youall brighten my day or night and I thank you so much.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

Missy do I dare ask what in the world is Texas Caviar?

It is black eyed peas, tomatoes, jalepenos, onions (all diced small) add some garlic and salt/pepper and served with tortilla chips...SOO YUMMY!

EDIT: I forgot to say it has a lot of protein and other good for you things in it!

Missy - you lost me at the black eyed peas, everything else I can handle but the black eyed peas, - yuck- "sticking finger down my throat"

Thanks for the info tho and enjoy your caviar.

Sherryl
Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 AM

Oh Missy I am doing the happy dance for you. It's such a good feeling to get under numbers we havn't seen in forever. I'm so happy for you. Keep it up girl. Yayyyy.