Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 AM

Observation

I started out being casual about my choice of scraps, fairly random. Then, I got very careful about following the light/dark prompts. Then, last night, I got obsessive about picking "just the right" scrap. Actually, ripped & changed some choices.
You too?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I will send a couple blocks to Jolo. Will PM Judy for the address. I don't know what block we are doing or the size. Have the color. (It's been a few busy days here & I've missed some things.)
No, coopah, contact Dotty. I said I would help with this is she was unable, but Dotty will be in charge of this. Dotty, you are a sweetie do this.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:23 AM

Dotty, Nope what I sewed first time around stays. I haven't changed anything, but I will admit to one thing. I haven't done Clue #3 because I wanted to see what Judy will do in the last clue today. I was afraid since I think this clue will be something between the blocks I need something calm for the last triangles going around the 4-patch. We'll see.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Observation

I started out being casual about my choice of scraps, fairly random. Then, I got very careful about following the light/dark prompts. Then, last night, I got obsessive about picking "just the right" scrap. Actually, ripped & changed some choices.
You too?
I have 1 fabric on my last clue that looks too busy and I may change it. Waiting to see how it looks with the final clue. Or I might get so excited getting that last clue on I forget all about it.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM

I was careful about the light and darks from the first, but that is all...really trying to be totally scrappy and only control is keeping pieces of the same fabric from touching. Everything has been from the one scrap box of 4 & 5 inch charms and 10 inch squares also everything was from exchanges, mfg. give-ways, and quilt hop hand-outs. My hat is off to you Dotty!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Clue 4

Straight ahead: our final destination.

Now we will make the final pieces of the puzzel. As you can see, I have good contrast between my 12-1/2” strips, a mix of dark, medium and bright, and my 2-1/2” squares. This is why I chose darks with a bright for my squares. If you want, depending on your large triangles sewn last week, you may want to switch to lighter strips and darker 2-1/2” squares. Take a look at my completed top, then look at your blocks and see how you want to do this. Do whatever pleases you the most.

Cut 31 pieces that measure 2-1/2’’ by 12-1/2’’. I have used all different fabric and they are an assortment of dark, medium and bright – my choice, but you can do whatever you like. You may do it this, or use all the same fabric. If you use yardage, you will need about a 30’’ length of material, WOF.
*** NOTE: If your blocks are larger than 12-1/2” square you will need to cut your strips to that measurement. But the blocks all need to be square, and be the same size. I know there were some different sizes as assembly progressed. From now on I will only talk about 12-1/2” long strips.

Cut 82 squares that measure 2-1/2’’ square. I used 15” of a bright yellow batik, six WOF strips at 2-1/2” wide, then sub-cut into 2-1/2” squares. (There will be a small piece fabric leftover for your scrap pile.) However, you may want to do this part cutting 62 squares the same and 20 scrappy. Or all scrappy 2-1/2” squares. I wanted my stars to stand out so I used all the same fabric. Choose the look you like the best.

Take your 31 strips and 62 of the 2-1/2” squares. Scrappy pieces won’t show the star as well. But audition both ways, you may like the scrappy better. Mark center diagonals on these squares and sew to the 12-1/2’’ x 2-1/2’’ rectangle. WATCH DIRECTION OF THE STITCHING LINE. SEE PHOTO. Sew a scant smidge away from your drawn line, the smidge away being toward the corner of the little square, bring the point of the 2-1/2’’ square to the corners, and press as shown. SEE PHOTO FOR DIRECTION TO PRESS. It is important to have the strips look like the sample, then trim away the extra fabric. However, if you have cut or sewn incorrectly, and these corners of the 2-12” squares do not meet at the corner of the strip, do not trim. Leave the excess fabric, it won’t hurt anything, just be a bit thicker when you sew together and quilt.

Take the remaining 20 pieces that measure 2-1/2’’ squares to use for the cornerstones. See the first large block and assemble 12 blocks as shown. Press. They will measure 14-1/2” square. Take three of these blocks and lay out in a row with one extra 12-1/2” strip and one cornerstone as you see at the far right of the picture. Make 4 rows the same as the one pictured. Then sew the 4 rows together. Probably easiest to sew into rows, then sew the rows together, but do however is easiest for you.
Make one last row with the 4 cornerstones and 3 strips as you can see in my final quilt top.
You now have finished the completed unit.

Add some borders (see the ideas of some scrappy border samples that I think would look great with this quilt), or make double the blocks for a large lap quilt. Or even more units and make something to fit your bed! Re: the sheet of paper at the end of this posting, In case you are using a smaller screen, for example - your phone and cannot read what is typed, this is what I added to the picture. These ideas were taken from a free site, QuiltingAssistant.com, which offers border, block and quilt ideas. First is traditional and a new twist on flying geese; second row, new ideas for bowtie; bottom left – parallelograms; bottom right – 9-patch. And don’t forget piano keys and small HSTs, piano key, and many more. This should give you some ideas to get your creative juices flowing!

So … is everybody happy? I am, and hope you are, too. My daughter saw mine and asked me to make one for her, so I know she liked it; rarely does she ask for something exactly as I have made it. She usually is very specific (read that as overly fussy) on her color combinations!
Can’t wait to see what your tops look like.

And now, I would like you to weigh in on whether you want the next mystery to be another scrappy. If you do, please let me know here on the thread or by PM, as I have one ready to go and can start it in two or three weeks, giving you time to finish this mystery. If no one is interested in another scrappy. #9 will be in a couple months, maybe late April, depending on how long it takes to design and make my sample, as I have not planned at this moment for a non-scrappy. Hope you will weigh in with a YES or a NOT INTERESTED, Thanks.

Happy sewing!
Attached Thumbnails 4-.jpg   4-b.jpg   4-c.jpg   4-d.jpg   4-e.jpg  

4-last-photo.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 AM

Yes another scrappy
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 AM

Love the look of your top. Beautiful. Thank you very very much. I have a box of 2.5" strips so go!

YES, another scrappy!
Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM

Judy, I love it. Yes another scrappy.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 AM

Yes another scrappy, please!

I was wondering how you would get stars into this top. I love it and am anxious to get started on this last clue. Once again, thank you for these mysteries. I have learned so much especially how to make/work with triangles.

Connie