Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nick names, a Southern thing >

Nick names, a Southern thing

Nick names, a Southern thing

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Let me try to explain this thing of nick names. Born and bread in the south is funny and also perplexing when you move away. Around here you are sort of called something really far from your real name. Haveing a nick name means someone loved you enough to give it to you. Maybe you earned it, but not always. My Uncle Bill or else called Billy boy when he was young was almost grown when I find his real name was Charles Ray. How does Bill get from there to here? He is so fun and we grew up loveing him and now my children love him as well. He is Uncle Bill to them too. I was called Toot or LadyBug.Go figure.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm truly from the south. I love being a Texan and my nicknames. I have several nicknames..My given name is Michelle which I have never used. Mimi, Mimmo, Missy, Mimms, Mimikins. My husband is John and goes by Chris. My Dad is James and goes by Malcolm, my son is James and we call him Jamie, Jasper Allawishis, Scooter Boot and Critter. My Uncle Jim was Chester. I have an Uncle Son (Tomas), Aunt Punkie (Eunice). Then there is Bitty Boy, Lokie, Boot, Jabbo, Sister who is Auntster to my son. There are a bunch of people in my family that use double first names, Lisa Renee', Charles Robert, Rita Anne, Ada Ruth, Shelby Renee', Adrian Michael. My Mom is called Grandmere's by all the grandkids except my son who calls her Jammere's.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 PM

I never had a nic or pet name as a child and only got stuck with Ernie after a colleague ferreted out some childhood secret about my collecting 'Ernest goes to...' movies when I was little. My family is originally from SC, and I can't recall anyone going by nic names, either.

My husband's family though is a different story...he is Arana ( means spider but his childhood crush was named Ariana), sisters are Chalia, Chavela, Peluchina, and Nidi. Brothers are Patas, Cheque, Rafa, And Bara- short for baracuda, since he's not the nicest guy.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Born in Fl, raised in GA, lived in Mississippi...how's "cottontop", "long-tall-sally" sound?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Never had a nickname as a child. My husband calls me Crisco (i had a weight problem in the past, nickname stuck.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM

PaPa (grandpa) gave all my kids knicknames. Goose, Tater, Jeffie (Jennifer), Mushmouth and sweetpea. I have nicknames for all my greats, Pumkindooddle, Apple Dumplin, Cowboy, buckaroo, dimples and smiles.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM

My mother had many older brothers and one younger sister. When little sister came along that is what they all called her 'Sister'. She was named for an aunt who lived on the property and was in the house all the time so rather than confuse folks they just called her 'Sister' all along.

When Mama and her brothers started having kids we all heard them talking to our aunt 'Sister' so that is what my siblings and cousins and I called her too. Aunt Sister. You can't imagine how many people have laughed at that one.

She preferred it to her name...Winifred. When she was a grownup her friends called her Freddie. Which suited her. Red haired and right at four feet tall!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM

My great aunt had twin sons whose given names were Ronnie and Ronald. One of the twins was larger than the other so they were nicknamed Biggie and Teenie. They are in their 50's now. Biggie is about 5'8" and Teenie is about 6'4", but they are still Biggie and Teenie.

My nicknames were Sear (15 mo old brother couldn't pronounce sister), Frauline (from a great uncle that nicknamed everyone), Grace (Mom called me that because of my clumsiness) and Triple L (5th grade PE teacher - short for Long Legged Laurlyn).

My brother's name is Robert and my grandfather called him Bob Robert.

I use Sweetie alot with my sons and Darlin' with my DBF.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM

I don't but my Sis does.
She was premature and only weighed 3 lbs.
She was born on the stretcher going into the hospital.
My Dad's friend said she shot out of there like a bullet.
Her nickname has been "BULLET" ever since.
J J
Old 02-18-2011, 11:01 PM

My family has southern roots, so we had 1. a.Moniebird, b.butch (Big sis) 2. a.Peepers b. keleper (Me) 3. Adolph (DB) 4. Sad Sam (DB) 5. Billie Boy (DB) 6. Jod (DS) 7. Becky (DS)

*Translations-Ramona, Kelly Karl, Ian, William, Jodie, Helen

My DD's were 'Sam' who is Anna, and 'Boober' who is Nyna.
I could go on for days with goofy nick names for family members, but my favorite was Maternal Gandmother 'Saffie' or 'Tex'
:thumbup: