Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? >

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM

It's not the cutting-I did a Moda jelly roll quilt & the bowing drove me crazy & I swore Moda had cut the strips off grain but that wasn't the problem---When sewing long strips together alternate the end you sew at--always starting at one end stretches the fabric a tiny bit but it bows on long strips. alternating which end to start sewing corrects for this and I haven't had a problem since-sorry Moda!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM

What's the GO?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM

David, you have five pages of very useful tips so I have nothing to add in that dept., but want to ask you to keep that wonderful sense of humor throughout your quilting. It's refreshing for us and does keep one from getting discouraged.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:13 PM

David - when you have the fabric ready to start cutting - I find that if I refold it every two to three cuts - it helps a lot to eliminate the "bows" - don't cut from the same fold all the time, in other words. Let us know how you these suggestions work for you.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned

The GO is a cutting machine. works a bit like an old mimeograph maching in that you put dies on the tray and crank them thru the rollers and it cuts your shapes.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM

"My quilt instructor suggested cutting fabric doubled once and held up selvedge to selvedge and then moved back and forth so the fold lies even."

To me this is important step #1. If the fabric is not folded on the line of the woven thread it can never appear straight when cut. It is easier to work with smaller pieces rather than 5 metre lengths however. Take the fabric, gently press, starch if you wish. Take hold of the selvedges right and left and bring them together. (Newbies remember we are cutting across the width of fabric ,the selvedges run the length.)Hold the folded fabric in front of you , the folded edge hanging down, then manipulate the selvedges back and forth until the fabric falls evenly without a wave or buckle to be seen. Lay it on the board with the fold closest to you . Then line up the ruler on the fold line VERY carefully. Cut to square the fabric, then cut your 1st strip. You may need to move to the opposite side of the table to do this accurately. CHECK THAT THE STRIP IS NOT BOWED! Repeat the whole process if necessary! Moving the fabric to the mat can sometimes mess with the selvedges again,be careful with this step, be patient !

Remove the strip, do not move the fabric piece until you have run out of room to cut. Realign cutting edge every 3-6 cuts, but keep checking your strips for accuracy. Always sew long strips in opposite directions to keep from creating bowing after sewing. I hope this helps a little.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Ditto David, no starch necessary.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM

I make sure when I am cutting strips to see if my fabrics line is still straight after cutting two or three strips. This is very important when you are cutting strips.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I wasted so much fabric having V shape cut strips that I saved money buying the Go. The GO Baby is worth it if you only cut strips with it.
What is a Go Baby?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 PM

David, It may help to straighten the edge (cutting edge) of the fabric after every couple of cuts. Also, my 22" ruler started wearing out in the middle. I bought a new ruler and that helped tremendously. Good luck!