Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OK - I Am A  "Fabriholic" >

OK - I Am A "Fabriholic"

OK - I Am A "Fabriholic"

Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 PM

I have a problem. I have a very large stash - not as large as some I've seen on this site. Earlier this week my middle daughter came up from Kansas to help me sort fabric for the 10-20 quilts I'm going to make for Christmas. Would you believe out of all that Christmas fabric - 3 large Rubbermaid totes-almost nothing 'went together.'? We were only able to 'package' fabric for 7 quilts.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I wish there was an inbetween one that was inexpensive that did the quilting for us. I tried to do the machine quilting with an embroidery design and i sure couldn't get it to work, I can't even stitch in the ditch without wrinkles....I'll be one of those ones who has tops but none are useful because they aren't finished..and I sure can't afford to send them out to do :( Somedays when I get the top finished, I figure I should just throw it out because it will never get done anyway lol There's only so many placemats and table toppers a person can do...but I'm smilin ..
Originally Posted by grayma
I have this addiction also! While I am working on one project, I am planning many more. I need to learn how to machine quilt, because sending everything to the long armer is costing a fortune!
:mrgreen:
Poor baby, haven't you noticed that almost everybody says "Stitch in the ditch" is very hard to do? How about just echo quilting around or inside of your blocks?
It is prettier and a whole lot easier! and if you can't think of anything else, draw lines using an office ruler and just stitch straight parallel lines to fill in big areas. make them diagonal if you like, just get the first one from corner to corner, so they won't be wonky.
I advise you to make up some 12" or 16" squares of practice fabric sandwiches. Just practicing quilting them with your machine. and do not put the lines of stitching too close together! * at least an inch - looks better.
and when they come out good looking, for one thing, you have a pillow front (or back! Lol) even if just part of it comes out dazzling - cut it out n' bind it and you have a mug rug~or put a big plate on it and cut out a round placemat!
...and when they come out good looking, then pin or baste well, and do that to your wall hanging, a block at a time, all around the outside edge first, and when they are done, you are gonna know how to do the rest. After you figure out how to do centers, you can do them first.
KISS = Keep It Simple Sister!
AhHa! fooled you on that one....you might have thought of other words! Nope!
Good Luck Luv!
Jeannie
Old 03-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Usually
Originally Posted by JADE D
I have a problem. I have a very large stash - not as large as some I've seen on this site. Earlier this week my middle daughter came up from Kansas to help me sort fabric for the 10-20 quilts I'm going to make for Christmas. Would you believe out of all that Christmas fabric - 3 large Rubbermaid totes-almost nothing 'went together.'? We were only able to 'package' fabric for 7 quilts.
Usually Christmas fabric is the only group that you can count on going together....how about white? or muslin? plain reds? plain greens? Have you anybody you can swap yardage with? prints for plains?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 PM

If I don't admit it then I am not an addict :)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:18 PM

You've got a lot of company there.Welcome.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 PM

I have only been quilting about 3 yrs & have quite a fabric collection. I love the fabric & planning the quilt...BUT I am not very productive. So that is my goal this year..to use some of that beautiful fabric.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM

LOL Jeannie you're a doll, I am going to try that. Thanks for the advise and I will KISS LOL that was cute Wendy
Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 PM

LOL Jeannie you're a doll, I am going to try that. Thanks for the advise and I will KISS LOL that was cute Wendy
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM

I'll admit to being a fabriholic, too...I think most quilters are. Of course I say I am a fabric collector as I have more fabric than quilts.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

I understand! My DH does not understand when I tell him I have to buy some fabric because what I have doesn't go with the quilt I am wanting to work on............