Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members live on the farm or ranch? >

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 AM

One of the best blessings I have received in my 73 years was to be able to raise my children on a farm. I have lived on the same farm for 65 years, except for when in college and the first year of marriage. We have beagles, goats (7 new ones), cattle, and horses. Best life there is!!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM

I grew up in the city and my farm cousins called us 'city slickers' all the time. We visited them on summer vacation and rode their horses until our hides were raw!

I grew up, married, raised a family of five and after years of being single I met and married a wonderful man, who had a small farm. I love it and we love it when the grandkids visit.

We raise miniature Irish Dexter cattle, chickens, turkeys and have farm dogs and barn cats. We enjoy growing corn, tomatoes, watermelon and musk melon (canteloupe). Of course, strawberries, and other fruits from our fruit trees are so good, especially right off the vine. Nothing like a hot, sweet nectarine fresh from the tree.

The pasture is beginning to grow now that spring is here and we will begin to live more outdoors. Love it on my small farm. :-D :-D
Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Born and raised in a city in MA. When I married and we could escape we moved to ME where we had farm animals. Those were the happiest times of my life and I gave even each chicken a name. I thought if they had names my DH wouldn't be able to put them in the freezer and I was right.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM

i live on a farm and have for the past 39 yrs. have raised lots of animals, cows,pigs,horses,lots of chickens- 1500 the last summer that we raised them. the kids and i did fyers for sale, turkeys, geese. i also milked cows and sold the cream. i still have people ask me if i have any cream or fryers for sale. don't think i ever want to live in town. can't get used to the noise. i keep busy with off farm jobs now because there is no money in farming unless you sell your soul to the banker and go inyo debt in the millions. i don't think so.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM

i should have written that i was born and raised in a small town. never knew much about farm life til i married a farmer. i knew the day i married him i would be expected to take care of his folks as they aged and didn't end upn the "HOME".
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

My father and grandparents farmed and ranched. My parents were divorced so I spent weekends and time in the summer on the farm. Gardened, learned to sew beside my grandmother--her on her treadle and me on my greatgrandmother's treadle.
Tended chickens, helped vaccinate cattle and rode horses for fun and to round up cattle. These are the best memories of my childhood.

My husband's grandparents ranched and he spent summers with them. Also some of his best memories.

Fast forward to 7 years ago. We built a home out on my DH's grandparent's ranch (now owned by his mother who lived in her own house alone on the ranch). Our house was for weekends and eventually retirement--a 30 year dream of ours to build on the ranch. In the process of spending more time around his mom during the building and weekends visiting (we lived and worked 5 hours away) we discovered that his mom had dementia. I took an early retirement (I'm an RN) and moved to our ranch house to be near his mom and help her get diagnosed and deal with day-to-day needs. That was 5 years ago and she is now in a wonderful private home with 7 other eldery women,including her identical twin sister. My husband is still living and working 5 hours away and I still live on the ranch and manage day-to-day ranch stuff. We have two mini-donkeys and two great dogs as pets and we lease the place out for grazing, so cows come right up to the front porch grazing but, luckily we aren't responsible for their care. One of the cows is as gentle as a pet and loves to be scratched and have the prickly pear thorns pulled out of her face. Last week I surprised myself managed to take the broken hydrolic cylinder of our tractor (used for clearing cedar and such) to take in for repairs. My dad and grandfather had to be smiling up in Heaven somewhere.

I'm in Heaven again and love that my grandaughter has a place like this to spend time on and create memeories. I do miss my DH alot, and can't wait for his retirement in a few years when he can be here full-time!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

We are plant growers. Small acreage 17 acres. We have some milk goats too but just for ourselves. I grew up in agriculture and originally this was my family's business but DH and I bought it about ten yrs ago.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:19 PM

Country girl born and bred as they say :lol: relocated to the city for a few years in late teens however only lasted a few years before I hankered after a return to my rural roots. Hubby took some convincing although I eventually managed to get him "on board" so we now live on 5 acres in a rural area (surrounded by lots of sheep cattle or mixed farms). We have sheep ourselves, 7, chickens, a large orchard, even larger vegetable garden and lots of peace an quiet :lol:

Maybe1day
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM

We live on 20 acres much of it pasture or fields. However we do have 4 heifers and are expecting 4 calfs sometime in late April. We also have about 2 acres of woods and a creeks that runs through it! I never lived on acreage growing up but we have lived here almost 32 years and I love it. Our kids were raised here and our GD loves to come play in the barn with Papa! :lol:
Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM

I'm a farm wife. I was country born and city raised but most of my family were farmers/ranchers. I lived in the city during my first marriage (27 yrs.) but when that was over, I couldn't wait to get back to the country.

We retired last year and sold most of our land to DH's younger brother but retained 80 acres. We still have a dozen cows, 4 horses, 8 donkeys, 3 goats, a coon dog and a few hens and ducks. I bought a house in town and we have been living here this winter but I think once it's warm enough to go back to the ranch and stay that's where we'll be for the summer. The best of both worlds. DH goes out to the place everyday to tend the critters and whatever else needs to be taken care of. We love farming and ranching but our health isn't what it used to be. At one point we had over 6000 acres to take care of, way too much for us now. I miss the neighbors, cooking for hands and the animals but I can live without the overwhelming weather extremes, mud, mice and ticks ;)