Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM

I like the list idea. I don't have too many UFO's as I enjoy seeing the finishes product. I really want to finish my UFO's but the new fabric does get in the way at times... :)
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Yes the actually quilting process can be daunting. I take it you don't have a long arm machine either. Unfortunately, not all of us have a long arm or can afford to have all out tops done this way. Do you thing the women out there who have long arms have this same problem?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM

I don't have a large stash of fabrics, so I tend to work on one project at a time until it is quilted and bound. I love the tops but I love them more when they are quilted! I just love the way they drape and fold and look after they are complete!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
I also love piecing the tops. But sometimes the quilting just speaks to me and I quilt several at a time. (on my Janome 6600)
And does the Janome co-operate with quilting them? I ask because one of the main reasons that I have a lot of ufos is because my Janome hates to do free motion quilting. I'm sick and tired of the battle to get the tension anywhere near right. (I've tried other machines and been OK, so it's not me!).
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM

I only have 2 UFOs and they are 800miles away and the only reason they didn;t get finished I couldn't find the right backing I no longer start a new project til the current project is pieced-quilted and bound It drives me batty having anything half done[this is why my house work is un-started this wk.not enuff time to finish it :cry:
Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM

I piece more than quilt. Bigger than twin size goes to the longarmer. The rest.... I have to be in the right "mood". Then I go crazy!
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM
mac

I had a friend that used to anonymously send her UFO's to another quilter. You would just open up the box and find all sorts of quilt blocks, patterns and fabric. Some people actually worked on the quilt they received and finish it. Others would just keep it in their closet, along with their UFO's.

One day we all got wise and found out who was sending them to us. She started getting her packages back. It was pretty funny.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:36 PM

I am going to quit working the first of June, and we will be going to our cottage in Michigan. I plan to spend most if summer, fall and next winter between Mich and Atlanta with the grandbabies. I'm going to work only on tops between now and then (mostly family and friend Christmas presents)and then take the whole bunch of tops north and quilt them at the cottage
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I guess I look at this differently. Quilting is my hobby, and unless I run out of room for the UFO's I really don't care how many I have.
Quilting is relaxing, destresses my mind, and I could be spending a whole lot of money in other areas and NOT have anything to show for it. So if I die with a pile of UFO's, my family knows where to take them where they will get finished :wink: and nothing will get thrown away or wasted.
This way I can enjoy piecing, quilting, or procrastinating, and enjoy my hobby MY way :D:D:D
I love what you wrote! Amen, sister!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

What a great way to feel good about UFO's Amma! :) For the most part, I seem to work in waves. I get on a roll with piecing and whip out a few to several quilts. Then I switch over to sandwiching and quilting, one after another, then binding seems to be my least favorite, but it sure feels good to have a pile of quilts to give away. I get motivated by cleaning and organizing my sewing room and fabric. All the sudden I realize what I have to work with!