Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Method of whittling down your UFO's >

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Method of whittling down your UFO's

Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM

That sounds just like me, I have several quilt tops done but hate to sandwich and all that stuff. I also have a list of UFO's posted on the wall by my machine like Redmadder, but nothing has been crossed off for sometime now and the list just keeps growing longer.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 PM

I also like to piece and get the top done. I just made up my mind I had to finish my UFO's. I did 7 of them. It felt so good. Now I have 3 to do. So I am working to get them done. I will always have UFO's because I like to make new quilt tops. So having 3 to 5 isn't bad and I do get them done. I could never get up to 20 or more it would drive me crazy.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I love to piece' but I only quilt lap top quilts or smaller. Anything larger I send out to a LAQ. My mother says I'm not a real quilter, just a piecer. It used to hurt my feelings untill I finally realized she can't piece and only quilts baby quilts made from cheater cloth. I'm a piecer and proud of it, and no I don't feel guilty!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM

I have been trying to have 3 of my ufos stacked by the sewing machine and work on them a little at a time along with a new project and the goal is to finish one ufo a month. So far have done it.

Ruby the Quilter
Old 04-01-2011, 05:20 PM

I sew several tops and then set my mind and the machine to quilt then and bind them. I really perfer to peice but I can not afford to send to LAQ so I do them my self! Once I start and get into the swing of things then it is fun!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:01 PM

I don't know if this is really a method or not. At the beginning of the year I made a list of all my incomplete projects. It was quite long! Some of the items were as simple as getting a label on the back, or binding a wallhanging. Anyway, my resolution was to keep the list in a prominent place. Only after I have crossed three items off, will I give myself the luxury of planning and shopping for one new project. The new project can't big huge if the items checked off are small, and the item can be huge if the items checked off are big. Three steps forward, one step back...
Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM

I ruthlessly cleaned my sewing area/supplies. If I wanted to finish a project then it went on one shelf and it was put on a list that hangs just inside my sewing cabniet. If I knew I wasn't going to finishe it I either threw it away or gave it away or traded. This was applied to sewing/quilting notions as well. It is a JOY to open my cabniet and see things I like and inspire me to sew.

I have a friend with a long arm machine. She is SUPER reasonable with what she charges. I buy my batting on sale from Hancocks or Joanns and once a month I give my friend a quilt top to do. When I get that one back then I give her another one. With each top she will email me what it will cost to quilt it and I plan that into my budget for the month.

My goal is to have finished my UFOs by the end of the year, I have been at this process for two years now. I will also be out of fabric at the end of the year. From now on I plan to only do one project at a time.

I have only one long term project and that is a quilt from silk neckties.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:32 PM

I joined a UFO challenge in January and am theoretically completing one per month. They nearly all need quilting. I say theoretically because it's felt like an uphill struggle so far, with sometimes having to wait till I could buy fabric, batting or thread, and then my machine not co-operating. BUT, one ins very nearly finished - I just have to sew the binding. The sense of excitement and accomplishment is great - I've only recently begun to have much time for sewing, and it's a long time since I finished a quilt. It's the one on my avatar.
I said no new projects until they were all done, but an online group I belong to is doing a mystery quilt this weekend, and I've decided I deserve a reward! Am looking forward to doing some piecing after just doing quilting recently.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM

This is probably a really stupid question, but just put it down to me being dumb lol......how in the world can you afford to pay a long arm quilter? I'm just curious......I have the hardest time sandwiching the darn thing together, nevermind the hard time I have quilting them....it makes me wonder why I even bother, I seem so disgusted with myself all the time.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 AM

I handled mine the "kiddie" way, wrote down their discription, cut them a part, threw them in a jar and drew one out and finished it - then another.
Believe it or not - it has really worked for me & it also got some done that I really didn't want to do.