Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt >

Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt

Help.................. I'm left handed in a right handed world trying to quilt

Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't see anything wrong with it! I love it!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:06 PM

I'm a lefty and I wouldn't change it. I have had to be ambidextrous being a lefty. I also remember being in grade school and the teacher wanting me to write with my right hand. Thank goodness my mom didn't agree and I am a proud lefty. We are very creative and great people!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by SweetSlumber
Originally Posted by clsurz
Originally Posted by frauhahn
Ah, the world just doesn't realize how handicapped we lefties are!!! But always remember- we are the only ones in our right minds!
With that being said than what does that make an ambidextrous person?

:twisted:
I write lefty, but I think being 'ambi' makes me very lucky! When cutting fabric, I don't have to move the fabric or adjust the ruler, I just switch the rotary cutter between hands, when my right hand becomes crampy after a stint of hand stitching, I use my left, although it feels more natural using my right. I remember in elementary school the teacher would give me those left-handed scissors, and I could never understand why they wouldn't cut. I was using them in my right hand! The teacher probably thought I wasn't very bright! lol!
WOW! To be able to cut on both sides of the ruler would be so awesome! I am officially jealous.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm right handed but hold my cup with my left hand because I'm usually using my right for something else. What are the pockets used for anyway?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by christina d
Iam a lefty and when younger my lefty dad taught me how to knit but he neglected to tell my you keep the empty needle in your left had I used to knit it from one needle then knit back the other way it gave not until later did I learn this wasnt how it was supposed to be but the stitches looked good
I wish I could do that! Sounds a lot faster.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I certainly wouldn't change the rugs. I'm left handed for writing and at times ambidex - expecially with needlework. I think that depends on who taught me, if it was a lefty, I do it left handed, if a righty ? taught me, I do it right handed. My Dad taught me to have fun with it, he gave me a left handed pitcher, scissors, measuring cup, and other things. He also saw to it that I wasn't forced to write left handed and NO, I don't turn my hand upside down to write. Just be glad you are able to do so many things, no matter what hand you used.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM

I am left handed but stitch the right handed way, just works for me. But I love being unique, so is my oldest DD.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm a lefty too. Yea, left handed people are always in their right mind. He Hee I've never had any trouble being left handed. Worked in a factory for 33 years, and was always able to do any job that they put me on. I had to put my parts on the opposite side as every one else, but hey I got the job done. Same with any crafts that I do, crocheting, quilting, jewlery making, cross stitch, embroidery etc. I do them with as much ease as a right handed person.
Love the Elvis rug mug.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by abdconsultant
Any one else have this affliction? Just finished some mug rugs for swap and noticed all the pockets are on the right side of the rug. Dang, I hate it when that happens,I'm starting over, too much trouble to take em off and the Elvis one has a design problem................Dang.
Where did you get this fabric....seriously...I NEED TO KNOW! I love it. I'm not strictly left or right and the combination can indeed cause some problems when my brain is trying to figure out which way to cut. I also what to move the free motion movement in the oppossite way, I have often wished that they would make a left handed sewing machine. I would much prefer to have it on the right with the opening to the left. Don't think it's gonna happen so I'll just have to keep on thinking twice as hard as usual! LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm not a lefty but my Dear Aunt was. She always complained because things were made for right handed people. Not any more, we have lots of things for left handed people. Even a very nice quilt teacher at the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Just take a look she's good and seems to be a really nice person.

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquiltco

P.S. Leave the block alone, I thought it was supposed to be that way since a table setting has the spoon on the right side.