Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your scraps. >

How do you organize your scraps.

How do you organize your scraps.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM

I am in the process of organizing all my fabric and of course scraps are a part of that. Right now I have conquered them into a few small plastic containers and plan to cut them up using the Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User System when I finally get all my fabric in some kind of order.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 PM

I see several people reference Bonnie Hunter...will go see how her method works. I have a few "flats"...bottoms of 24-pk pop (get them free at the grocery store) with strips cut. I do have a few shoe boxes with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" squares. My 3 year old granddaughter loves the 1 1/2" squares...I got tired of helping her put them back, so I decided to make 9-patches...can you believe I have OVER 300? Looks like I'll be making a scrappy quilt. Have fun reading everyone's method...I decided NOT to let the scraps get ahead of me....too overwhelming.);)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:27 PM

Organized - what does that mean. I have three plastic tubs full of scraps and they are a mix of everything. I tried cutting some of them into squares in various sizes, using the largest size I could get from each piece, but I've had them in boxes and have never used any of them.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Mine are organized but not in an OCD kind of organized of way. I do have blenders,tone on tones, batiks and fabrics that read as solids together and others in large loosly defined categories like childrens, patriotics, brights, stripes and dots. It is a little easier to find what you want but I do not want to go crazy oversorting and lose out on all that quilting time. I am currently helping a group of ladies learn to do a simple pattern called a lattice garden quilt and they are shopping my floral scraps for 6 1/2 " floral and so far we have about 4 large throws worth of scraps gone out of my stash. I am liking the stash reduction, they are learning and I am making a bit of money to boot. But I do have to spend less time here and more time quilting. Gotta go now. Byeeeeeeee
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

Mine just get put into a big tote...as is! It's good for doing applique. If I would ever get too much, I would probably just get another tote!!!!! HaHa
Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 AM

I only buy kits, and I keep the fabric leftover together in ziplock bags (but I don't close them) that way the fabric is already color coded for me.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 AM

Organize - hmm what an idea. I put mine in cloth groacery bags and then when between projects I cut them into strips. Then when I am going to sew a scrappy quilt, I toss them all into the dryer tumble for a quick minute and then sit down and sew. I havee three bags full now, time to start on my scrappy court house steps again.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by raggedyann
i don't....hope i'm not the only one!
nope...I don't sort either....just start searching when I am ready to make a project.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:25 AM

We are suppose to organize them??????
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 AM

I sort by main color and place them in a plastic tub - shoe size. large pieces (1+ yds) go into those clear totes -sorted by color or type - which I pick up when they are on sale. My pieces that are for a 'nearly there' are out on a glass shelf so I can look at them and tin about my possibilities - also acts as a motivator to finish the current project. I have one tote with flannels which I use for quilt backings for beds frequently so they don't slide off.