Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you going to plant a garden this year? >

Are you going to plant a garden this year?

Are you going to plant a garden this year?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:08 AM

Our garden has been in the ground for about a month. We have been eating the lettuce and asparagus. Yesterday we even pulled up a few beets. Yum I love fresh veggies. I love to can so can't wait for the tomatoes and peppers to get ready.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:29 AM

We are waiting for the plants to come in. They were shipped 2 days ago. We have the flowers in just waiting for the veges.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM

My friend in North Eastern Kentucky plants our garden.. The land has been plowed for quite a while. She did say that they put out some potato plants at one end of the garden. It rained and she found them at the other end... She has Ditter's sense of humor. I go and help her can green beans and work up corn. Last year was a NOTHING... too much water and bees did not get to pollunate the plants. Praying for the rain to stop and bees to pollunate.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM

yes. b ut there is still snow on the mt. so hav e starts in friends greenhouse
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Tilled my soil but still have plants inside. Pole beans are getting so big they will have to be put aside soon.

Wendy :-)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM

Absolutely! We just moved September to some acreage after having lived in the City for two years and three years in Arizona before that (nothing grows in AZ except the dust and wind). We put in four raised beds (4' x 8') and I just fenced off another section last weekend that is probably about 500 sq feet. We have already planted red onions, broccoli, asparagus, cucs, strawberries, tomatoes, spinach, sage, black and green beans, brussel sprouts, sugar snap peas, raspberries. This weekend I will be planting more tomatoes, green and orange bell peppers, watermelon, cants, zucchini and honeydew. We also put in flower gardens all the way around the house. Ambitious I know but I have so hungered for a garden for years; I'm so excited at the prospect of having a prolific garden this year and hope to take some to the farmers market and of course to share with all the neighbors! I know my 'ole body is going to be aching but gardening is soooo good for my soul and there is nothing better than fresh picked!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Not this year We now live in marsh land 6inches of rain still setting and we;re expecting heavy rains from sat-tues but weds &thurs drizzles then more heavy rain for fri-mon If this keeps up I'm trading my car in for a Pontoon :thumbdown:
Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Already planted and have baby squash and baby tomatoes already. Already had several pickings of mustard greens. We don't get the harsh winter weather and can plant early. We DO get hot, hot summers and everything burns up. Temps today are in the high 80's.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Wellllllllllll, I don't do the planting, but I do the eating and preserving. DH has already planted everything that can be planted at this time here in GA. We, yes I did help, planted 300 tomato plants.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM

I planted 3 tomato and want to plant cucumbers.want to try Chard,also would like to plant hot pepper that really isn't hot if I can find some plants. We don't do a large garden anymore.