Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness >
  • Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

• Need opinions about Etsy's usefulness

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 AM

But wait I just checked etsy for Quilting fabric and WOW! What a lot of fabric. Prices do not seem too bad. I did not look very long but I will certainly check Etsy when I am looking for more fabric.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by liondenise
    I bought one item on etsy and the item didn't come for three weeks so I tried to contact the seller and no answer so I finally threatened to report them to etsy and ebay and only then did I get a response and the item finally arrived 2 weeks later - don't know if this was an isolated incident but I am not happy with etsy
    I can understand your not being happy with that SELLER, but that should not reflect on ETSY in any way. Etsy is simply a venue, not a retailer. Their role is to connect the buyer and the seller. When you buy on Etsy, you enter into a direct relationship with an individual seller. It is only facilitated by Etsy.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 AM

I buy from both. I like Etsy because the price is set and the shipping is a lot less ( I think ) than ebay. I agree with Krystyna that etsy is confusing tho. I do buy on ebay as well. I think they both have their place.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM

I have never purchased anything from Etsy - I have looked at items on the site, but only because it came up on a bing.com web search.
    I also find the site confusing - but I have never taken the time to really investigate it.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I'm eager to read all the replies.

I've gone to Etsy many times, love looking at the items available but have never purchased.

Recently I've been thinking of selling my fabric postcard creations on Etsy, there are alot there for sale. Which might be the problem.

Rarely do I find them available on eBay, but when I do they are incredibly high priced compared to Etsy. Altho admittedly some on Etsy are high priced and DO sell.

So maybe it is a matter of getting started on Etsy and staying long enough to garner a following.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    I know people are getting away from selling on EBay because of the newest fees and such that the sellers have to pay. Their profit margins are going down to the point they can't make it. They are moving to Etsy.
    Yes, I had forgotten about this ... I read that eBay has increased their fees substantially and that sellers are leaving in droves. Of course, don't know if it is true or not.

I used to sell stuff on eBay some years ago for a charity and made lots of money for them and fees weren't bad back then.

I tried selling fabrics on eBay for awhile several years ago but the competition was overwhelming in the amount of sellers, even tho my prices were very good. So after a short time I quit cuz the listing fees were eating away at any profits that I made.
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM

I have heard that to stay visible on Etsy as a seller, not to post all of your items at once but to add a few everyday so that you are visible on the 'new' page.

Don't know if this is accurate or not, as I have not listed anything on Etsy, but it sounds plausible.
    Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
    Hi, if you have an Etsy site, or if you have bought supplies or items from Etsy, I would love to hear from you. Do you think it's a good source of supplies (patterns/instructions) for quilters? Have you had a good experience buying from Etsy dealers?
    I have bought several different things on Etsy; however, I agree w/ others that finding what you are looking for can take some time since it has grown rather unwieldy over the past couple of years. I have also contacted sellers directly if I think the price is too high and have gotten a lower price a couple of times.
    Actually, I think it is time for another online venue for craft-Etsy is getting really crowded!
    Old 05-23-2011, 12:20 PM

i have looked there before but i think it is to exspensive
    Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
    I have bought zipper pulls from the seller who's link is below. I think Etsy is a good source for unique items. Ebay bidding drives me crazy...not worth the wait or effort.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101820-1.htm
    I've used this store for zippers and they are great quality and price.