Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by carrollcats
I'm glad that I read your message about HF blades. I was going to order some for that price but now I will stick to Fiscars!
I think you'll find that if you read back, the majority of people are happy campers with their HF blades. I love mine and if I get a bad one here or there, it sure beats the price of Fiskars or others made for quilting. I've bought some of those that didn't work too well either. :thumbup:
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by Suzy
I put my used blades and used needles in empty pill bottles before disposing of them into the trash. I also have them labeled with tape.

suzy
I put all my needles and pins in a medicine bottle too. Do they make bottles big enough for the blades?
I just checked my largest pill bottle, and it looks like it was made for blade disposal. Perfect fit. Thanks for the idea. ;)
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mjdutro
You probably won't even read my reply to you but I want you to know that I highly disagree. I have never had a better blade. It is the sharpest of any brand that I have used. I have the same blade in use for months at a time. I am not at all exaggerating. Too me it was a super bargain. Martie in CA
How can you disagree with her experience? I'm truly confused. If she had a bad experience with them, then she did.

FWIW I tried at least 3 different packages of blades and just happened to be using a new mat. I also tried on my older mat that isn't nicked up. The same exact thing for all the blades I tried and all mats. Do you disagree? Because it really did happen.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM

I don't have HF in my area in CA and never heard of it here, but i have been buying the Olfa blades on ebay for really cheap in quantities because i love these blades best, and they last long with me. Many times i get them for less than $2 a blade and for olfa that's not bad at all.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

You should have tried the other blade. I've been using the same Harbor Freight blade for a few months. The expensive blades never last that long for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by wezecape
hi all did you know that our cutting mats dry out thats why you should on a regular time wash them with a soft cloth i have been doing that and it makes a big difference andcleaning them with a scrubby cleans them even though they are called self healing mats they need tender care, i do mine every couple weeks as i use three Omnimats , i do both sides always . hope this helps you all hugs ((((()))) weze
I totally agree with you, I clean mine with a damp plastic scrubby and then do the final clean with the "Magic Eraser" sponge http://www.magic-eraser.co.uk/?gclid...FQEKfAodGU2XUw which brings them back like new, but you have to chuck the sponge after as you will be amazed how dirty your mats get :shock:
Old 05-25-2011, 04:08 AM

FWIW, the teacher that taught my basic quilting class said that the white almost see thru mats like I use for classes dulls rotary blades something awful, BUT it won't warp in a hot car..so it's a trade off if you like to leave your mat in your car and don't mind changing blades a little more frequently.
For the house, I not too long ago bought a large Alvin mat and I do love it, just don't have anywhere to leave it out all the time.
Before HF, I too bought Olfa blades on Ebay and I was able to win enough 45 and 60 blades that I haven't had to buy any blades for year, but I don't cut quilt after quilt either...
Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 AM

It might just be a bad blade. I'm using a HF blade - my first - and it cuts great - fabric & my finger! I'd try another blade before you rule them out forever.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 AM

Cutting mats make a world of difference; I found that out this past week. I couldn't understand why all of my rotoray cutters were skipping. Then it dawned on me that what I was cutting on was the matt that I got to cover my cutting table and probably wasn't self healing. I got down my smaller mat (which has been around awhile too) and now all of them cut great. That was an easy fix.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM

I just thought I would post this as I am doing a lot of cutting at present and as it is for a Charity quilt with donated fabrics it is with not very good poly/cotton fabric which I find harder to cut than with good quality cotton.

I clean my blade regularly, turning the blade in the process. I take the cutter apart and put all the pieces on a white tissue, easier to see them and they don't run away :roll: I then get another clean tissue and put on a spot or two of sewing oil and clean the cutter, where the blade sits, and both sides of the blade, leaving a residue on it, as much as you get when you open a new one. I then put the pieces all together remembering to put the spring in the right way, an easy way to remember is that it curls up, as a sandwich does to the sun :mrgreen:

That with keeping the mat clean really does prolong the life of the blade, IMO