Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM

I've had the problem of leaving a small piece of fabric uncut. Figured I had a bad blade. Used the other one in the package, the same problem. I've been using them any way only because I have 30 of the Harbor Freight Blades and I'm just hoping these were not good. Maybe they are making them with a nitch because all of us quilters bought them out. So right now, I'm not a big fan of them, but maybe when I open the next package I'll love them.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you may have gotten the blade in backwards - try taking the blade out and reversing it. I think I heard this on a quilting show - it's worth a shot.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM

I have cut 2 quilts with the same HF blade, and am starting the 3rd, including cutting the fleece, and it's still working as good as ever. 2 were throw size and 1 a twin. I hope you have better luck with the next blade you try, I surely find them of consistently good quality.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM

I just bought a few blades at @1.49 on sale. I know several people that have used these blades for several years and love them. Even at $1.00 each you can't beat the price and if they cut carpet, they certainly will cut material.
If you get a dull one I would contact the manufacturer. You can get a bad one in anything. I bought an Olfa Blade and it was chipped!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:30 PM

PS: I find the strings that are left uncut are due to nicks in my cutting board, not because of my blade. I think I may need to be thinking about a new one. I see some places where the gray has nicked away, too. :(
Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

I agree completely! Just not the quality or durability of the real thing.
Originally Posted by Melrose V
I read several of the posts here about the carpet cutting blades available at Harbor Freight (HF) for a fraction of the cost of replacement rotary blades sold in the fabric & craft stores.

I wasn't 100% sure my old blade was dull but once in a while I noticed it didn't cut as well it had in the past.

Off I went to HF. Lucky me, the blades were on sale for $1.49! Wow, I better get a few! At home I open the package to find not one but TWO blades! Wow, what a deal! Two blades for $1.49!

First few cuts are perfect but after a few passes of cutting with it, I'm here to say "you get what you pay for". It appears that the blade isn't round. I can feel it while the blade is rolling and now I'm getting way more uncut areas than I ever got with my former blade.

Last night I put my "old" blade back on and it cuts like butter compared to the HF carpet cutting blade.

I could have saved my time, gas and money using a coupon and getting the correct blade in the first place. I'm sure these blades would cut carpet like butter but I'm just not satisfied with the way they cut fabric.

Hope this info helps someone thinking about using carpet cutting blades.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

I am using Harbor Freight also. When I first put this blade in my cutter it was leaving a couple of spots uncut. I found I needed to put more pressure on the cutter and then it cut perfect. Now I just cut and don't even think about the extra pressure and it cuts perfect.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM

I ordered my HF blades online. 10 packages of 2 each. I have had the same unfortunate results as others have described. I have changed the blades repeatedly and am now into the 3 or 4th package. Each blade has given the same result. They have dulled well before a yard of fabric is cut. After they dull they begin to skip. I have used my sharpener on them to no avail. It is hard for me to get the wheel on my cutter tightened 'just right' for the blades. The blades seem to wiggle as I am cutting. (I am only using one at a time. LOL.) If I tighten the wheel to stop the wiggle the blade is too tight to roll. When I put lots of pressure on the cutter it feels like I am cutting into my mat.
I am making a Bargello and have cut 24 yards of 2 1/2" strips, then cut strips from the panels I made with the 2 1/2" strips. This is enough fabric for a good test of the blades.
I am very interested in the updates about the type of cutter that works best and defective mats. I will use those ideas to trouble shoot further. If I can't find a solution I will not purchase any more of the blades.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM

I went to HF today to get some of the blades you all are talking about. First, they weren't very helpful and I didn't know what I was looking for so I don't know if they were out or if I was sent to the wrong aisle. I'll check ou HF on line so I can see what dept they are in and try again.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM

I put my used blades and used needles in empty pill bottles before disposing of them into the trash. I also have them labeled with tape.

suzy