Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Harbor Freight cutting blade review >

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

My Harbor Freight cutting blade review

Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 AM

I bought some and love them they fit and cut nicly in both of my rotory cutters I have Martelli at first it was a little tight but second cut smoothed right out and cuts fine. Gave a couple of packs to a friend and she said hers didn't cut didn't fit in her cutter right she has the same one I have. told her to try a different blade that most people loved them and had no problem, don't know if she has or not guess I will call her and see, but for me they worked just fine cut wonderful.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree, you must have gotten a bad blade. I use them and they cut perfectly!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I vote for HF blades, will never go back to a brand name.
I'll second that. I have had no problems. I did, however, run the blade across and found that after a year's use, my mat had a groove. It wasn't the blade! I really like those blades and I hear of more and more quilters are using them.

And if I were buying carpet I would make diddly darn sure that the blades were sharp enough for the carpet layers to cut our new carpet - straight! Edie
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Melrose V
I read several of the posts here about the carpet cutting blades available at Harbor Freight (HF) for a fraction of the cost of replacement rotary blades sold in the fabric & craft stores.

I wasn't 100% sure my old blade was dull but once in a while I noticed it didn't cut as well it had in the past.

Off I went to HF. Lucky me, the blades were on sale for $1.49! Wow, I better get a few! At home I open the package to find not one but TWO blades! Wow, what a deal! Two blades for $1.49!

First few cuts are perfect but after a few passes of cutting with it, I'm here to say "you get what you pay for". It appears that the blade isn't round. I can feel it while the blade is rolling and now I'm getting way more uncut areas than I ever got with my former blade.

Last night I put my "old" blade back on and it cuts like butter compared to the HF carpet cutting blade.

I could have saved my time, gas and money using a coupon and getting the correct blade in the first place. I'm sure these blades would cut carpet like butter but I'm just not satisfied with the way they cut fabric.

Hope this info helps someone thinking about using carpet cutting blades.
Sorry to hear that you didn't like the HF blades. I bought a few pkgs. about 3 months and I am still cutting with the blade I put in the rotary cutter and it cuts wonderful. I will never buy another blade at Jo Anns or anywhere else unless HF goes out of business.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 AM

Yes, definitely try another one. I had that experience once and when I tried another one it was super sharp. I really don't mind throwing away a blade now and then because of the excellent price compared to the quilt shops price
Originally Posted by Kitsie
So far no problems for me with the HF blades. They last just as well as the "name" brand and because of their price I'm much more willing to change them when they do become dull.

Please try another one.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 AM

Also another fan of the blades here. Will only buy them and have never had a problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 AM

I like my HF blades and haven't had any problems.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM

As long as you are talking blades, I am wondering how you discard the old dull blades. You can't just throw them out can you I am assuming you tape them in cardboard or something.
Pickle
Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM

I keep the original container they come in. Put a big red sharpie mark across it when it's done. Usually save that til a second one is done and mark it - trash them both in the original pkg. Taped a bit. Wouldn't want to cut a bird at the landfill.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 AM

The Harbor Freight blades I've used in my Olfa cutters the last year have all worked well and have kept a sharp edge, that is, of course, until the inevitable 'nick' that seems to be the death knell for all my blades, name brand or generic. It's less painful to toss a cheap blade though, so I'm sticking with them, lol.