Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included) >

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

What causes birds nests on quilt back? (picture included)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Try the Magic Genie Bobbin Washers. I use them in my sewing machine as well as my longarm. They are really magic!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Usually birds nests are caused by upper tension being off, however your stitching looks good otherwise so I would suspect you are perhaps moving the quilt when you adjust for a different position or pulling or pushing the quilt through between stitches. I will be interested to see what other problems could cause this.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM

I think the problem comes from the top thread being cotton and the bobbin ( bottom line ) being polyester. try using cotton in the bobbin. I was having that problem on my longarm when I used King Tut and finally I put in a cotton bobbin after fooling around with tension, new needle, etc. I didn't have a problem after that.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Have you tried threading the hole in the "finger" of the bobbin case? That puts a little more tension on the bobbin thread. I have a Bernina 153 QE and that was something I was told to do if I wanted to increase the tension just a little bit.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM

Try leaving your feed dogs UP. I read where sometimes a machine doesn't like having the feed dogs dropped and they do much better if they are up even though the machine has the ability to drop them. In another thread this subject came up and the person who tried it said it did help. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM

I agree with Deborahlees comment ---Take it back, take it back and take it back...

I posted earlier about a similar problem with my Janome. So many repairs and the problem continued. I finally said to the dealer, "don't you think it's time Janome replaces the machine?" They contacted Janome and the machine was replaced. I no longer have a problem with the bobbin spin that caused nests.

I also have a Brother that caused a tension problem in the first week. Dealer fixed it but informed Brother. Brother INSISTED I take a new machine --- WHAT SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

You need a dealer who helps you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Please let us know what happens, we have all tried very hard here to help and share our experiences, knowledge and opinions.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Please let us know what happens, we have all tried very hard here to help and share our experiences, knowledge and opinions.
Yesterday I tried putting some normal 40wt cotton thread in the bobbin but I continued to get skipped stitches and a birds nest (still the top thread). I called my dealer and the only suggestion was to rethread the top. I've done this already (a few times). If that didn't work I was told they'd have to evaluate the problem. I'm assuming this means they'll take a look at the machine. As far as the skipping stitches they said they'd need to talk with a Bernina educator. Honestly I don't think that will do any good because I believe there's a design flaw in the Bernina Stitch Regulator as I had this same problem with my 440 (even after the updated spring) and have read tons of other people's complaints about the same thing.

I wish it was as simple as saying, "I'm unhappy with the product, it doesn't work correctly, please give me my money back."
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I think you should say to the dealer, in a calm, low voice. "I'm unhappy with the product, it doesn't work correctly, please give me my money back or replace the machine with another" YOU MUST DO THAT.....we work too hard for our money number one. and our finished product, our quilts, are very important to us. If the dealer will not hear you go regional, go territory, go national. You are important, and we as a group are powerful....How would Bernina like it if we went on Facebook or Twitter and posted a "Bernina has a flawed machine and will not back it up......." that is what someone did about their Sony TV, and boy oh boy did he get a new one real quick....
How does the saying go...when good women do nothing.....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM

I wish it was as simple as saying, "I'm unhappy with the product, it doesn't work correctly, please give me my money back."
Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy!! It never is.
Customer satisfaction is a thing of the past especially large ticket items. GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D