Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts >

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

This makes me so sad - Estate Quilts

Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM

So I went to the sale today - the quilts were pulled by the family because they wanted more time to go through them and divide more up between children and grandchildren.

I spoke with her daughter and she said if they have any quilts left would I be interested or know someone who would? Immediately I thought of all of you! So she is going to call me and I can post what she has for sale her when she is ready.

Also, Joy, the daughter told me they have a garage full of fabric in totes that they haven't gone through and did not have in the sale. But again left my name and number and she is going to call me when they open the fabric up and let me have the opportunity to purchase.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

[quote=Chickerson]This makes me so sad to see a closet full of love being sold at an Estate Sale. I'm guessing the family doesn't understand the love and time it took to make these memories. /quote]

I don't know about that? they may or may not know how much love and time went into making these quilts. The reason for selling them may be that there are just so many of them?

I don't want my family to have to worry about all the quilts that I make so I have made for them, friends and now I make for charity.

I won't be leaving behind a huge pile of quilts to dispose of but am still doing what I really enjoy doing, making quilts.

Maybe1day
Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM

One person's loss is another person's gain!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM

It is sad I wish i had some of my grandmas quilts she gave them away and didn't tell any of the family
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM

It is sad. I was given a beautiful heirloom quilt from a woman who's family didn't want it. She know how much I cherished quilts and wanted someone to have it that would appreciate it. She figured it would be pitched or sold in a garage sale when she was gone. :cry:
Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
It is sad. I was given a beautiful heirloom quilt from a woman who's family didn't want it. She know how much I cherished quilts and wanted someone to have it that would appreciate it. She figured it would be pitched or sold in a garage sale when she was gone. :cry:
This was a very smart woman. She gave her handmade items to SOMEONE WHO WOULD APPRECIATE THEM. By doing this, her give was appreciated, and was worth SO MUCH MORE.
I have had many garage sales, and boy, it that a learning experience. Two (positive) memories: selling my handmade jointed bears with quilted limbs (from quilt scrapes) to a woman who would be placing the little bears on her bed. I told her that I hated selling them- they were part of the family, with personalities, and her friend verified that they would go on the friends bed, and be appreciated. It was much easier to part with them knowing that they would be appreciated,rather than sold at a flea market. Then there was a painting I had done, toted from move-to-move for twenty years, sold to two gay men. I was SO happy! My painting ($4) was going to be appreciated!!!!

I'm so happy that this woman's quilt is going to you, to be appreciated!!! Good for you!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 PM

I wish I lived close so I could attend the sale. Hope you get some great buys, let us know how you make out.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM

I love going to estate sales; it's one way to pick up old, but valued quilts and keepsakes for some low prices somethimes. Your're right; their children and missing the point, but good for who are willing to pay the price.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Wish I could find a sale like this! Hope you get some of them.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I hope you are able to get some. Looks like she made lots of quilts. It would be nice to see them go to a home where they are appreciated.
I totally agree with you.